S E V E N

From Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon there were about 270 miles, which meant a 4 hour drive or so, but you were going to make a few stops in the way, so it would probably take more time than you initially thought. You had planned on staying two nights there and you had already made a reservation since you knew that the Grand Canyon was a rather visited location. Las Vegas was honestly such an unique experience for you; you had met Michelle, you visited a strip-club, you had an awesome dinner at a super tall tower, you got drunk and you went to a big casino. It was an unforgettable adventure.

You drove through the busy streets of Las Vegas which were surrounded by tall buildings and then, after a couple of minutes, you slowly ventured into a very different route, which was deserted on the sides; no big building or pretty lights. You had told Kendall that you would make a quick stop at Hoover Dam, which was a huge arch-dam that helped with the flood control, regulation and water storage of the Colorado River.

"Can I put some music of your dad?" Kendall asked and you nodded while focusing on the road.

"Please, nothing sexual," you pleaded while chuckling as you remembered that time Kendall suggested that your parents had sex while listening to one of those songs. The House of the Rising Sun by The Animals started playing and you noticed that Kendall was loving the song. She was singing along and softly tapping her hands against her tights, which were only covered by distracting dark shorts. Her toned long legs were left in sweet display and images of them wrapped around you were flooding into your mind. You tried to shake off the idea and focus on the road.

"Do you know this song?" you asked surprised.

"Of course I do, it's my dad's favorite song," she made a brief pause. "I'm actually a little offended that you thought I didn't."

"Well, you asked me why I took you to Furnace Creek after all," you giggled and she playfully rolled her eyes.

"Okay, I was a bit ignorant back then," Kendall admitted while blood rushed to her cheeks.

"Do your parents know that you are on a road trip with a complete stranger?" you dared to ask.

"Yeah," the dark-haired girl replied hesitantly. "It's not like they really care, though. However, money is always at my disposition so that comes handy from time to time," you nodded and decided to change the topic since you did not want to make her uncomfortable. You could see that she had some family issues since her relationship seemed way different from yours; she never called her parents or communicated with them. Did they even know where she was?

"Do you even use your phone?" you wondered curiously since from the first time you met her, you only saw her using it once. Her gaze met yours for some seconds before you looked back at the road while waiting for a response.

"Not that much," she stated.

"Why?"

"Because, uhm, I don't have friends," Kendall admitted shyly and you frowned. You actually pictured Kendall as one of the popular girls that had their own squad and everyone admired them from afar. "I used to have friends but they were only interested in my family's wealth so it's hard for me to trust in people again," she explained.

"I can see that," you smiled at her sympathetically, you knew how hard it was for her. She was slowly starting to trust you and you wanted so bad to let her know that you wouldn't disappoint her. You decided not to push it any further because she had shared something very private with you and you didn't want this to be the last time she did that.

Hoover Dam was immense and impressive; this place made you ponder about how powerful human beings were. They invaded nature to take advantage of the river. However, almost everything was intervened by the human race; the roads, the buildings, the bridges, even out there, in the galaxy, the satellites, spaceships. Hoover Dam was another one to add to the list. The colossal concrete arch was embedded in the huge red rock walls of the Black Canyon dividing the river in two. You walked around and took some pictures while Kendall did the same. You knew that she snapped some pictures of you when she thought you weren't paying attention, but honestly, you were always paying attention to her. It wasn't long until you were back on the road and making your way to the marvelous Grand Canyon.