Chapter Thirty-Two

A/N: This chapter also has an M-rated version. If you'd like to read it, you can find a separate story through my author's page that has all the M-rated scenes, including the full version of this chapter.

Also- this is the last chapter! I do plan to write an epilogue sometime this week, but this is the end of the actual story. Thank you so much for reading, and for your reviews, they mean so much to me! I'll say this again when I post the epilogue, but I have some other things in the works, so be on the lookout for the two stories that will be published soon- one I've been working on for a little while, and another that is a collaborative effort between me and FourTris_HEA, which we are really excited about as well-- that one will be posted from by her, not me, so you should go follow her and read her other stories while you're there!

Chapter Disclaimer: This chapter contains implied adult-intimate situations and references to sex. If you are uncomfortable with this, please do not continue to read.

Tobias

We run. Tris stumbles and I decide we have gone far enough-- we will wait here to regroup with the others. I hope they all make it out of that building.

I pull her into my arms, gasping for breath and coughing, my chin resting on the top of her head. After a moment I pull away, checking her all over-- somehow I just have to see for myself, reassure myself, that she's alright, and she is. "Did they hurt you?" I ask frantically.

Tris shakes her head. "Not really. My arms were tied above my head for a long time, so my shoulders are sore. But I'm okay." I see a few figures coming towards us-- Zeke, Shauna and Edward. "I'm so sorry about your mom, Tobias," Tris says with tears in her eyes. I don't know how she can be so compassionate to the woman who just kidnapped her.

"I'd choose you everytime, Tris," I say, crushing her lips to mine.

"I will choose you every time, too, Tobias," she whispers, just as more of our friends reach the group, coughing and panting.

"Is anyone missing?" Zeke asks, looking around.

Will looks frantic. "Where is Christina?" Down a few blocks I can see the factory completely up in flames.

Lynn shakes her head. "I saw her go down, Will. I think she was dead before the fire could even get to her. I'm sorry." Next to me, Tris stifles a sob. Will's hands are in his hair and he looks around like his eyes won't focus-- probably much how I looked when I found out Tris was missing.

"She could still be alive," he says desperately. "I need to go look for her." Zeke catches his arm just in time, and Tris approaches and wraps her arms around him.

"It's too late, Will," she says. "If I thought there was any chance we might find her alive in there... I'd want nothing more than to run in there and find her, too. But it would be a suicide mission to retrieve a dead body, Will. You wouldn't make it out of there alive. We need to choose life-- we need to choose the people that are still here," she says, locking eyes with me. And I get it. She is giving me what she didn't the first time around-- she is choosing life, and by choosing life, she is choosing me. The building is beginning to cave in. Will sits on the curb, head in his hands, and Al drops down next to him-- just to be there. It's the best thing anyone can do.

We sit in stunned silence, until someone suggests we get ourselves to the Dauntless infirmary.

---------------------------------------------------------

Uriah

I am surrounded in darkness, just like I was for so long before Tris and I died and came back. Am I dying again? Did I come back, only to not even make it through initiation this time? Did I at least save Marlene, Lynn, Tris?