Chapter Seventeen

Marlene

Four has called every single initiate... except for Edward, Uriah, the Stiff and me.  Seriously, is he totally oblivious to the tension that the four of us left alone together creates?  I mean, I guess he isn't around us much as a group, but he's best friends with Zeke, so I would think he would have some  idea that things are... a bit uncomfortable.  None of us can seem to even look at one another.

"Damn, this sucks," Edward whispers to me.  "It's working, though.  He's getting more jealous every time he sees us together."

I giggle quietly.  Yes, Uriah is definitely jealous.  I'm sure it makes that little Stiff mad as hell.

"Didn't anyone ever teach either of you manners?" Uriah says in the same cold tone he used yesterday about the cake I was sharing with Edward.  Edward pulls me closer with the arm that is wrapped around my waist and Uriah snorts.  "Do you have to be so in everyone's face with the touching?"

Edward tries to hide his smirk.  

"Uriah," Tris warns quietly-- I can barely hear her.  Uriah barely glances at her before glaring at Edward again.  As I have many times, I start worrying that I am going too far, pushing Uri too far away from me.  I open my mouth to speak, but think better of it and seal my lips shut again.  Edward looks at me with his brow furrowed.  

"What is your problem, man?" Edward says.  "Are you jealous or something?"

*****FLASHBACK*****

"Edward," I say, thinking back to his comment about his parents.  "You were born for Dauntless, from what I've heard about and seen.  If your parents don't show up tomorrow, don't let it get to you.  They're not worth it if they can't accept you for who you are.  You have people here who think you're pretty amazing."  I blush slightly... I probably shouldn't have said that.

He smiles.  "Well, Marlene," he says, "I hope you know that whoever it is that you are trying to get over is an idiot, because you're beautiful, kind, brave, fun... anyone would be lucky to be with you."  In this moment, I realize how much we've leaned in toward each other.  We're breathing the same air.  Maybe I don't need Uriah at all.  Maybe...

And in that moment, Edward closes the distance and presses his lips to mine.

And I feel nothing.

I pull back, biting my lip.  I can't even look at him.

"Um... uh..." Edward stutters uncomfortably.

"Look, I'm sorry Edward but--"

"Oh, thank God," he sighs.  My head snaps in his direction, eyebrows raised probably to my hairline.  He laughs.  "Seriously, you were about to say that there's nothing there, right?"

I smile and nod.  "Yeah, that was like kissing my brother, if I had one," I say with a giggle.  Edward just laughs.  "I'd still like to keep you around as a great friend, though."

Edward nods.  "Friends would be perfect."  Then his eyes light up and his lips curl into a mischievous smile.  "But... I bet we could make that guy you like jealous..."

*****END FLASHBACK*****

I notice Tris looking like she'd rather be absolutely anywhere but in this hallway with the three of us.  She's actually inching away.  It reminds me of my cat, Ginger; Ginger is always trying to sneak into my lap, like she thinks I won't notice-- not that I even understand why she thinks she has to be sneaky to begin with-- and just puts her weight on one paw at a time very slowly  but it's not like no one notices.  It's still obvious.  That's what Tris's inching away thing is like.  Uriah obviously notices it too and says, "Tris, just leave if this really bothers you so much."