Chapter 31

Blaze and Levi headed the small unit of four that broke their way through Haiden's forces. Behind them Redemption kicked up dirt as he followed in the path cleared for him. A few stray arrows whizzed past him, but the white dragon spared them not so much as a glance. Dragons and riders who approached from the side were got in his way were mercilessly knocked aside by Emerald and Sky, who ran to either side of him. From atop their dragons, Seth and Gina cut away at riders who got too close. The four dragons and three riders had not yet taken to the sky. Behind them many others had; those who were outnumbered found it easier to dodge in the air.

Redemption paid them no heed. His eyes were fixed on the target which loomed ahead: the palace. Realizing that Blaze was slowing down ahead of him, the white dragon focussed his eyes on him. He saw that Haiden's forces were tightening their ranks, showing that the element of surprise was lost.

Levi turned in the saddle. "Go!" he yelled to Redemption. He turned back just in time to stop a rider's blade with his own.

Not hesitating, Redemption did as told. He took three more strides before he leapt into the air. He jumped right over Blaze, spreading his wings in the process. As the white dragon flew up into the air, Emerald followed his lead while Sky fell behind, being forced to engage directly with another dragon.

Ahead of them all, from the top of the palace, Haiden watched as the Dragon of Legend flew towards him.

He's coming, Fury tensed in anticipation, his claws curling around the edge of the roof. He waited for his rider's command to move. Haiden sat still, not a word coming from him.

Haiden? Fury asked as he felt his rider was not in the least bit inclined to make a move.

Let him come, Haiden calmly told his dragon. His eyes darted to the battle below where riders of the Academy were beginning to fall two at a time. Anyone could see that it was a hopeless battle for them.

Fury's eyes narrowed as he read his rider's intention. He's here. It's time we end this! He urged as he tried to get his rider's attention.

I said, let him come, Haiden growled. Let him find his rider. Let him see what I did to her so that he knows what I am going to do to him. He smiled at the thought of making the white dragon live in agony at his rider's death. Slaying a dragon that has lost everything first is entertaining. The anger they display... he trailed off, picturing the image in his mind.

Nothing will be accomplished by waiting, Fury thought moodily in reply. His twitching muscles showed his eagerness to leap into the air and meet the white dragon in battle.

We leave him for a bit longer, Haiden replied firmly. In the meantime, how about we warm up by slaying ourselves some Academy students? His gaze landed on a group that had resorted to fighting together in the formation of a circle, protecting each other's backs. They were quite successful in bringing down dragons and riders around them. Now that looks like a good place to start. Haiden's grin widened.

He ignored the frustration he felt rising within his dragon. Haiden knew that he was the one out of the two who enjoyed tormenting his targets more before disposing of them. Despite this, Fury usually didn't voice any disagreement. The fact that he was doing so this time irritated him.

Both he and his dragon took a last look at the white dragon that flew towards the roof. They saw him dodge one of Haiden's own, pausing only to sink his teeth into his attacker's neck before resuming his journey.

"Fury," Haiden spoke out loud, his eyes on the white dragon.

Fury followed his rider's wishes and jumped into the air. He headed towards the white dragon. Then, without hesitating, he suddenly turned and made straight for the group of Academy riders below.