Chapter 21

Akira spent the following days locked up inside her room. She ignored Redemption's pleas to talk to him and shut Destiny out of her mind altogether. Most of her days were spent sitting in a corner and doing nothing but staring into space, seeing nothing but darkness.

When Seth took her to eat, the dining room had been completely silent at her entry. Then the whisperings started, and Akira clearly heard one voice above all the others.

"She's as blind as an un-hatched draglin, and she'll probably remain so for the rest of her pitiful life. I told you she was no match for Haiden, but she had to try and prove us wrong. Now that she's nothing but a cripple, what use is she?" Olivia whispered none too quietly as Akira walked by.

The remark struck home and it took all of Akira's strength not to burst into tears. Beside her, she had felt Seth stiffen and grip her hand tighter as he shook with anger, yet he silently stayed with her and helped her get her meal. Akira barely touched it. Gina, realizing Akira's discomfort at being in a place filled with people, took her back to her room.

Once alone, Akira wept once more, the word 'cripple' echoing in her mind the whole time. She refused to leave her room after that. She didn't want to hear what others thought of her anymore.

Seth came often, bringing her something to eat or just to talk. Sometimes, he just sat quietly. During these times, Akira would lean against him, struggling not to cry in front of him; she failed more than she succeeded. Gina too, came at times, yet she spent more and more time with Drake, who was getting better by the day and, against all odds, was back on his feet.

Brandon visited once, and Akira sensed that he wanted to talk about something. However, in the end he had left again after expressing his sympathy and telling her that it was not her fault, but more his. He reasoned that he had, after all, sent her up against Haiden with little training. He had little more to say than that, seeming at a loss himself about how to handle the situation. Levi kept his distance altogether. If it was because he was busy or felt some form of guilt, Akira didn't know. However, the fact that he wouldn't see her added salt to her wounds.

It was eight long sunrises later that Akira finally pulled herself together. She needed to talk with Redemption, to find out what would happen from here on. Seth had told her that Haiden was attacking village after village, moving further in from the border. It worried her. The Dragon of Legend needed a rider, and at the moment she was holding him back. They had to find a solution.

With Seth's help, she made her way to the roof. Once there, Seth left her alone with Redemption. He knew they wanted to be alone.

Akira sat down in the spot Seth had left her. Redemption responded by sitting down right behind her so that she could lean back against him. For a moment, neither said a word. Akira sat and simply listened to her dragon's heartbeat. The sound of it made a wave of calmness wash over her.

Taking a deep breath, Akira finally decided that it was now or never. I...I understand if you choose another rider, she thought to her dragon. Redemption didn't reply. Instead, he snaked his neck around and lay his head onto her lap. I won't be upset. Even as she thought it, Akira knew it was a lie. Redemption was her everything, giving him up was almost unthinkable.

Trust me, I have the rider I want right here, Redemption replied.

But, I'm blind Redemption. I'm useless! Akira felt the tears that were welling up in her eyes. "I'm nothing but a cripple," she added out loud. Her voice was showed her bitterness.

You're not a cripple, Redemption growled.

"That's what they call me," Akira whispered.