Chapter 24

The smell of hay and dragon drifted through the stables. Satisfied sighs and grunts sounded all around from the sleeping dragons. There was a rustling as one settled down, trying to find the position that was just right, before laying his head down to drift off like the rest.

The walls were stone, to keep the place as fire proof as possible from the few dragons that had mastered the art of breathing fire and yet sometimes would breathe a flame in their sleep. While the hay did pose as a flammable threat, there were water buckets all around to be grabbed in the case of a fire. A few blackened pieces of hay revealed that it was not an uncommon occurrence.

Redemption lay in his stall, his rider resting her head on his shoulder.

I've got a confession to make, the white dragon told Akira.

They had just come back from another battle, and Akira was too tired to bother walking to her room. Declining Gina's offer to take her there, she had opted to stay with Redemption in his stable for the time being. Moments of peace, such as this, were rare these days.

"What confession?" Akira murmured. She snuggled further into Redemption's side, letting him hold her weight.

Remember when you asked if I could hear Emerald's thoughts?

Akira thought for a moment. The scene of Seth's kiss flashed through her mind, followed by Emerald staring at her solemnly before flying off with him. All sleep left her as she remembered that Redemption had conveyed Emerald's message to her. She had forgotten all about it due to the events that followed.

"How did you do that?" she asked out loud.

Redemption shifted slightly and Akira could imagine him turning his head to look at her. I'm not sure, he told her. It started a few days before we went to that battle. I thought it was all in my imagination and so I didn't say anything, but it's been developing lately.

What exactly do you mean by "it"?

Being able to talk to other dragons, and through them, their riders, Redemption told Akira softly.

The impact of his words hit her. "You can what?" she asked in disbelief.

It happened the last time I met with the council as well, Redemption continued. They all heard me...though I don't know how even Brandon did.

"Ree...are you saying you can communicate with anyone now?" Akira asked. The thought that he could do so was unthinkable. She had never heard of such a thing before.

If they have a dragon and are willing...yes.

Akira shook her head. "That's..."

However, it seems that some dragons and riders are out of my reach.

Out of your reach? Akira furrowed her brow.

I've tried it during battle. I can't communicate with any dragons and riders who follow Haiden. When I tried I can't even feel their presence. Even if they wanted to talk, it seems that they and I are cut off from each other.

There was a moment of silence as Akira contemplated this new piece of information. It made her feel uncertain; for it was something new and unknown. At the same time, she felt curiosity. Why didn't you tell me before? she asked.

You would think I'm delusional. Redemption sighed. Because that's what I honestly thought at first.

Akira snorted. Scales, Ree, you passed the point of delusional a long time ago. I thought we agreed that you're...special.