Chapter 4

Standing between Brandon and Redemption, Akira looked from one to the other. She mentally tried to piece together the puzzle of what was happening. However, there were still too many pieces missing.

Redemption and Brandon seemed oblivious to her as they stared at each other. Each sized the other up.

Akira, tell him thank you for looking after you, Redemption finally spoke.

She was beginning to get tired of playing interpreter, but Akira was aware that there was no other way to communicate Redemption's thoughts to Brandon. With this knowledge, she reluctantly complied with her dragon's request.

"Ree," she coughed in embarrassment when she realized she had used his nickname. "I mean Redemption, says thank you for..." she shot Redemption a sideward glance. He was looking at her expectantly, waiting for her to convey his message. "Thank you for looking after me," she finally mumbled shyly. She looked down at the ground as she spoke.

"It was an honor," Brandon replied. He smiled modestly, though if he spoke to her or Redemption, Akira didn't know. "As it is also an honor to have you both here with us," Brandon added.

I think he expects us to stay, Akira thought for both her dragons to hear.

I say we should, Redemption replied.

Destiny? Akira thought.

I have to agree with Redemption. It wouldn't do us any harm, and you could use some training. That way we don't have to go through a similar experience to the one in the village, Destiny grimaced at the memory.

Training? Akira froze.

Yes, training, Destiny replied calmly. This is an academy after all. Is it not?

Brandon chose that moment to interrupt. "I think that before Seth shows you around, we should get you your uniform."

"Uniform?" Akira repeated.

"Of course. All our students wear uniforms here." Brandon motioned toward Seth's green outfit. "In the meantime," he continued as he ignored Akira's confused look, "I can show Redemption and...." he trailed off as he shot Destiny a questioning look.

"Destiny," Akira automatically told him.

"Ah, yes," Brandon nodded. "I'll show Redemption and Destiny around and get them settled in."

Akira swallowed. The very thought of leaving her dragons again made her panic. There's no way I'm going into that huge building with a stranger. She hugged her arms around herself at the thought.

It's fine, kiddo. Redemption's eyes were filled with reassurance. You'll be okay.

Don't call me kiddo! Akira thought moodily. And where did you get that nickname from anyway?

What? It makes you sound young. I thought humans liked that, Redemption responded as he cocked his head to the side.

More like you think you sound more mature when you use it.

Maybe I am more mature, Redemption replied.

Right, Akira snorted. However, the bickering made her relax somewhat.

Alright, draglins. Destiny interrupted before Akira and Redemption could continue.

As she told the two off, Seth walked past Akira and towards the building behind her. He went, not to the door she had come from, but to another that was a little further to the right. Once there, he paused and turned around.