Chapter 18

Akira took her time in pulling on her boots. She was in no hurry to go to the roof, to rush forward into the unknown. As she pulled on the second of the boots, she paused. Akira couldn't help but remember how proud Hannah had been when she had handed them, and the rest of the clothes, over to her.

Is today the day I die? she wondered. Like all those other Riders of Legend before me? Leaning back, she stared at the door. And they all had a lot more experience than I do, she thought miserably. Images of Rylan's battered body flashed through her mind. Hastily, Akira shoved them aside by concentrating on lacing up the boots.

Once done, she picked up her sword and strapped the belt around her waist. Hesitating for a second she touched its hilt as she wondered if her name would be engraved on the blade too. Sighing, she turned to her bed and picked up the soft white gloves that lay on it. She pulled them on slowly, one after the other. Lastly, she grabbed the white helmet and tucked it under one arm.

Turning one more time, she glanced around the bare room. Is this the last time I'm ever going to see it?

The thought made a lump of fear rise in her throat. It also brought something else with it; the desire to run. I could just leave.

Akira shot a glance at the door.

It would be so easy. The idea began to grow. I'm sure no one would notice us slip away in this chaos.

A knock on the door broke into her thoughts. Akira started. Then, as she realized what she had been thinking, her face heated up in shame. Shaking her head to clear her mind, she headed for the door. Opening it, she found Gina standing there. She was dressed in clothes similar to Akira's, only in blue to match her dragon, Sky. A grin, which stretched from one ear to the other, was plastered on her face. Somehow just the sight of her friend made thought of running flittered to the back of Akira's mind.

"Is there something...amusing happening?" Akira asked as she eyed Gina's grin.

"Nope!" Gina told her cheerfully. "But what use would it be if everyone went around looking as solemn as you?" She wiggled her eyebrows. "We need someone to be in a good mood. Not to mention, frowning is bad for you. It gives you wrinkles over time," she teased. "Besides, I found out you're on the roof. It's great because I'm there too!"

She grabbed Akira's free arm and dragged her in the direction of the lift. "I was kind of upset about the being stationed there. I mean, the roof does need to be protected, but it's not as vulnerable as the courtyard. At first I thought Brandon was saying I wasn't good enough to protect the courtyard, but then I found out he already has too many people in there, not to mention the defense system." She babbled so fast Akira had a hard time keeping up with what she was saying. "Then Seth told me you would be on the roof, too, and I was ecstatic. I mean, scales. I get to fight beside you and the Dragon of Legend! Now that's a story I could tell my children and grandchildren." Her eyes shone. "That is, if I don't die today..." She trailed off as though to consider the thought. Then she simply shrugged. "Oh well. In that case, you'll tell your children then that I fought alongside you. Right?"

Akira felt taken back. She worried about Gina's sanity as she wondered if all those years of eating splodge had done something to Gina's mind.

Maybe that stuff isn't so safe after all. Her forehead wrinkled in worry at the thought.

"Oh lighten up!" Gina sounded exasperated as she pulled Akira into the waiting lift. It began to ascend. "I'm trying to cheer you up here!"

A smile touched Akira's lips. Gina pumped her fist in the air, letting out a shout of triumph. She did so just as the lift stopped. When Gina and Akira got out to wait for the next one, they found Olivia and three boys already standing there. Olivia shot Gina a disgusted look, yet no words passed.