The 'In-Between'

A/N: Bonjour! Before you read this chapter I have to inform you that this is not a continuation of the last chapter but more like a 'in-between'. I have realised that I didn't mention how 'it' all began. So this is more like a  chapter for you to understand how 'it' started. Oookayyy. . .happy reading!
P.s. (F/N) means 'friend's name'
(F/L/N) means 'friend's last name'

'It seems that those with the biggest hearts, are the first to go. Almost as if they know and they love enough for a lifetime; in less than a blink.'

Narrator's P.O.V.
It was a dark stormy day. The people in black huddled under the trees and their umbrellas as the rain continued to pour down on them. The priest before them recited a few bible verses as he began the eulogy.

It was a funeral.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to remember the good life of the young (F/N) (F/L/N). S(He) was a bright soul, a happy person who loved (her/his) family and friends, who lived everyday as if it were (her/his) last. S(He) was a friend. A daughter/son. A sister/brother. And an important part of the lives of the people whom s(he) loved. . . . ."

As the priest continued on, one could never miss the girl standing next to the mourning family. There, without anything to protect her from the rain stood (Y/N). Tears slid down her cheeks, but maybe it was the rain. No one could know, she stood there; still, lifeless, numb. A living corpse.

When the priest asked if anyone wanted to speak he was only met with silence.

A hand lifted up and gazes fell upon the (h/c) girl. "I want to say something." (Y/N) said stepping forward. She looked at the closed coffin. One that held her dearest friend.

"(F/N) was the most spontaneous person I had ever met. S(He) was loud, funny, happy and she never felt the need to stress about anything. S(He) loved the sun, so much that s(he'd) get a serious tan because s(he) stayed out too late. . ." She cracked a small smile.

"S(He) didn't deserve to die. S(he) was supposed to live a long life so s(he) could fulfil her/his dreams, travel the world. Live."

Unbeknownst to everyone, all their guardian angels stood beside them, including (Y/N)'s.

And (F/N)'s.

The angel stood at the head of the coffin with tears running down her face and her head bowed down in a silent prayer.

"God always takes the best people first," (Y/N) said. "So I at least have that sense of comfort that s(he)'s happy where ever s(he) is. Maybe it's a way of saying that life isn't long enough. So we must live everyday like it's our last. That's what s(he) did and that's something s(he) would want us to do. We begin this month with sorrow and grief. With the loss of a good person. Let's try to end this month in peace, love and acceptance. For her/him."

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.
I stayed back after the funeral ended. People passed me by in a blur. (F/N)'s parents hugged me goodbye and in a way, I knew I wasn't gonna see them again.

Sitting beside the freshly buried grave with a soda in hand, I placed a single blue carnation over her/his grave.

"Am I becoming color-blind?" I muttered to myself as I stared at the green colored carnations. "Nope." (F/N) said. "I present to you: green carnations!" S(he) grinned. "Result of a slightly scientific experiment, of course" s(he) added.
I rolled my eyes at him/her.

Ever the nerd.

"Have you tried it with other colors?" I asked, picking up one of the green flowers.

"Yep. There's one in orange, black and blue." s(he) answered. "Blue?" I asked. S(he) wiggled her/his eyebrows, "Cool right? I can show you how to make one."

"Sure." I smiled.

I smiled at the memory, that day I managed to make a bunch of blue colored carnations but not before making (F/N)'s face blue. S(he) was so mad for making her/him 'look like a smurf'.

"Here we are." I whispered. "(F/N), am I delusional for hoping that I'll wake up tomorrow and realise that this was all a dream? Because I'm willing to be called crazy if it means that you'll be here."

I squeezed my eyes shut but the tears still fell out.

"It should've been me. Why the hell did you push me out of the way, you idiot!"

"You were the one who was supposed to live. You had a plan. You had dreams, dammit! If you had just- if you had listened to me and stayed where you were, you wouldn't' have been hit by that car."

I could still hear the tires screeching, the horn blaring, the whispers and murmurs that ran throughout the funeral service.

It was my fault.

I should've said that at the funeral.

S(He) died saving me. A life was lost saving a girl who was stuck in her daydreams.

I held on to the bottle tightly in my grip when suddenly I felt a pinch in the palm of my hand. The pain oddly felt. . .good. I looked down and saw that I had broken the soda bottle.

Blood seeped out of the cut and I. . .I felt a sense of euphoria in it. I exhaled sharply once I noticed that the blood didn't stop flowing. My vision was already blurring.

The blue flower was the only clear image in my mind as the black spots overcame my vision. And then there was darkness. . .