Chapter 21 - Shock, the aftermath of the betrayal. Part 1 & Part 2

Emergency Protocol:

In the event of an immediate threat, youth and elderly Pack members are to be taken to the 'Safe House'. Location is only known to the Beta pair, Alpha & the Pack Warriors designated to Youth protection. 

_____________________________________________________________

Levi had been right about the wolves backing off in town. Julia guessed they didn't want anyone to see the strange 'super fast' wolves. Maybe they had rules about exposure. Maybe they were afraid that humans would shoot them. That was more likely, honestly, she doubted they'd care so much about it if the humans were unarmed.

Once in town Levi pulled up.

"Okay, now you need to drive." He leaned back for a while though, like he couldn't bear moving, his breathing shallow, hands clenching and unclenched around the wheel several times as he tried to rock himself up out of the seat. Each attempt failed. 

"You okay?"

He didn't answer. Julia glanced down at his leg. Silly question. "You should lie down. Elevate it, I think."

"Yeah." Levi gritted his teeth as he finally tried to move himself, a sharp intake of breath, like he was forcing himself to be quiet. He inched back, slowly, every movement making him sharply inhale all over again... till he'd flopped back into the back seat with a groan, his leg bleeding freely all over again. "Pass me the kit."

Julia handed it over. 

"Thanks. Get going. We don't want to be caught up with their human versions." He tried to smile but it just came out as grimace. Levi tore his pants off at the leg and tried to work on it.

Julia slid into the driver's seat, doing her best to ignore the blood all over the place, and started the car again. "Where?"

"Highway. It's just beside the town. Head left. I should have changed, fuck." He swore softly, biting his shirt as he rubbed something over it.  "It's okay. Just get driving."

She shifted, nostrils clogged with the smell of Levi's blood, and tried to drive. Highway. Turn left. Julia nearly forgot what left was at first, till Levi reminded her, and she luckily got on the right ramp. At least she'd gotten her driver's licence. 

"Julia, your phone. Plug it in. Put music on. Some of your hippy stuff." He grinned weakly at her, shutting his eyes, and Julia did what he said. 

"How bad is it?"

"I'm going to have to sew it up. Don't worry. That's why we stock pain killers." He held up something. A needle? 

"We?"

"Pack fighters. Bit of local anesthesia and a sewing lesson. Didn't do such a good job today." He cringed as he injected something in. "Usually we don't face each other like that. Most wolves have enough pride to wait for their enemy to change."

Julia slowed, plugging it in, finding her hand was coated in the sticky red stuff. Ew. If she wasn't so shocked she might have thrown up. How much had he bled out here? Too much. She wished Oliver was here. It shocked her, to want him, but she surprisingly did. Or Beth. Someone who could sit back there and help Levi.

"Just keep driving, okay? Don't worry." He sounded tired, she glanced back to see him trying to sew something up, his eyes a little unfocused. "Address is in the glove compartment."

The urge to find out how a glove compartment got its name was shoved aside. Bad time to google questions.  Julia grasped the address, put it into her phone, and tried to drive as she tried to call Oliver.