Chapter 9

Sorry for the delay; I've just been really busy- and the laptop that I'm doing this off of needed a back-up (whatever that means XD). So it has been out of commission.Anyways, I'm back now, and can't wait to hear what you all say! Enjoy chapter 9!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                I needed to talk to Clarissa; the problem was that I did not know how to contact her. My Mom had left a while ago, a rueful smile on her face. She did not want to leave me alone, not after what had happened to Sierra. There was nothing that she could do today; she was booked all day with good clients. Clients that she did not want to cancel on. So I had the house to myself.

                The moment she had left I climbed out of bed and applied my normal make-up on. My vanity was scattered with shades ranging from a deep tan to an almost pale skin-tone. I honestly didn’t mind people staring at me; I hated the memories that the questions about it brought up. I hated thinking about the moment when I found Sierra…

                I was sitting on my couch, just thinking. It was something that I had been doing a lot lately. I was trying to get my scrambled mind into order. I did no think about Sirra; the thoughts just hurt too much. Besides, I got enough of thinking about her at night when I was trying to sleep.

                A flash of blinding white light appeared and out came Clarissa. Behind her, Ramon, Loretta and Lenora all stepped out. Adonis came from beside her and when I looked at him I immediately dropped my gaze to the ground, not wanting to meet his eyes. As the light faded, I found that I was still looking at the ground intently, like the answers to all my problems were within the carpet fibers.

                Fat chance of that happening.

                “Scarlett?” I heard a soft voice which I did not recognize and looked up. As I had assumed, it was Loretta, and she was watching me with concern. In fact, they were all looking at me with concern, and I did not like it. Even Lenora had pity in her eyes; I hated pity. I knew that the second I saw their faces my eyes hardened and my face closed off. It was something- one of the few things- that Sierra and I shared.

                Clarissa now looked surprised. She and everyone else shared a concerning glance before settling on a conclusion. I met her eyes, my face holding on emotion at all. This time, she looked taken aback, but quickly covered it up. Once again, I dropped my eyes to the ground, not sure if I could keep my poker face for much longer. “I- We know you had a nightmare last night.” My head snapped up in surprise. So that’s what this was about…..

                “You found Sierra’s body?” Lenora interrupted her.

                “No,” I hissed, eyes narrowed. “I found her nearly dead. She had time to tell me that- She had time to tell me something, and then her heart stopped.” I knew I looked scary. When somebody pissed me off, that was how my face tended to look. It did not matter who it was. I was completely closed off, and I knew that they knew it too.

                “Why are you being so rude?” Lenora snapped back, very rude, I might add.

                “Why are you asking me questions about one of the worst days of my life?” Before she could speak I continued, “I watched my sister, the only true blood relative that I have, bleed to death, and I could do nothing. Absolutely nothing. How about this? When you watch one of the few people that you hold close to your heart get stabbed to death, you can question me about it and I will answer everything without fight.” My breathing turned uneven at the very end, and I was doing my best to control the tears that were starting to slide down my face. They all stared at me stunned. “What?”

                Their mouths were open. “It wasn’t in your dream like that.”

                I snorted. “Of course it wasn’t. If I hadn’t been woken up it would have continued on with Sierra coming back and then dying in my arms. “

                “And you would know because…..” Ramon let his voice trail off, obviously leaving me room to answer his question. I looked at him like he was crazy, which still could be true.

                “It’s my nightmare. I have it almost every night; wouldn’t it stand to reason that I would know what it is?”

                “How are you not half asleep during the day?” A deep voice filled with mysteries entered the conversation. Adonis.

                I shrugged. “I know that if I fall asleep I’ll wake up screaming and I don’t want that happening. My mother came running into my bedroom this morning with a frying pan because I didn’t scream for the first time in years.”  I could tell that they did not know what to make of this. I knew that if I had been hearing this for the first time I would probably be as confused as they were; I stayed quiet, letting them think.

                My eyelids were not drooping, and I had been so accustomed to it that not having them droop bothered me. Along with my face. It had started to sting, and the sensation was pretty unpleasant. Then I thought back to what cover-up I had put on a few hours ago. “Crap,” I muttered under my breath before pushing past Loretta and Ramon.

                “Scarlett? Scarlett, are you okay?” Loretta called up after me. I had my hand cupped around my cheek and didn’t answer her. Now, I looked over the assortment of make-up that was scattered across my vanity. It was a mess, and took me a moment to identify which concealer I had used this morning.     

                “No. No. No.” I could feel my voice rising slightly in panic until I calmed myself down. After a few calming breaths I heard my bedroom door open, but I was already in the bathroom that led off of my room. The door hung open behind me as I lunged for my face wash- the really expensive one. It was the only one that could get this particular concealer off. The water started running and I ran my hands over my face with the soapy wash on them, not caring if my hair got wet.

                Moments later I held a towel up to my dripping face and hair. I could already feel the swelling start, and I knew that the side of my face would be bright red by the time I removed the towel. My head was spinning and I gripped the edge of the counter with one hand, desperately trying to keep my balance. I did not want to pass out again in their presence; it had already happened one too many times. After a minute the wave of dizziness subsided and I could stand straight again. Turning around, I saw Adonis and Lenora peering at me curiously from the doorway. Ramon, Clarissa, and Loretta stood behind them, their expressions more guarded.

                Slowly I unraveled the towel from my face. I could feel it pulsing, and knew that was a good sign. If it wasn’t, then I had not gotten rid of all the concealer and I would be numb. It was a highly unpleasant feeling.

                “What just happened?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haha. I liked the ending. Random Question of the day: What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you?

I think mine would be when I thought someone was my mom and she wasn't. I kept tapping her shoulder and she wouldn't reply XD