Chapter 2

I don't want to make this too long.... so

MUSHROOMS!

And this concludes the super-short author's note. Enjoy!

CHAPTER 2:

My jaw dropped and I just stared at the lady in astonishment. There was no other way to describe how I was feeling at the moment.  The brain that I had managed to unscramble was completely fried now.  Unconsciously, I shrank away from her a little bit; the headboard now supporting my weight. Slowly, I wrapped my arms around my knees and gathered them close to me, making myself as small as possible. I did stuff like this when I was nervous. The room’s atmosphere changed almost immediately from a peaceful one to one that was tension filled.

Questions started to swirl through my head and I felt another headache coming on. The main thing I was wondering was really ‘Why was I here?’, and that trumped all the other questions. Taking in my appearance the lady looked at me and sighed. I could tell that she was thinking about how she was going to say something to me. While she thought, I studied her. I just wanted to know why I was here, I might as well learn some things about the other people that stay here, right?

                “Who are you?” The question popped out of my mouth. I really needed to know who I was talking to. I didn’t want to keep referring to her as “the lady”. That just wasn’t right.

                She smiled softly at me, flashing her pearly white teeth for a split second. I smiled in return. “My name is Celine.” I loved her name. I thought that it fit with her personality, at least what I could tell so far.

Really, she was not all that different from me, except that there seemed to be a natural sort of glow surrounding her. It seemed to be an aura of happiness and peace. That was probably what I had noticed when she appeared in front of me. Truthfully, that also made me nervous: the fact that she had just randomly popped up in front of me, with no warning what-so-ever.

“I’m sorry, Scarlett. I don’t think I can be the one to answer your question. And I’m sorry for scaring you. ” When she added the last part my face flushed tomato red and I realized that I had spoken the last part of my thoughts out loud.

I cleared my throat.  “If you can’t answer my questions, then who can?” I looked at her pleadingly, my big green eye going wide. I knew that whenever I looked at somebody like that they always had to do something for me.

Celine thought for a moment before grasping onto my arm with slender fingers to pull me off the bed. I guess she had pulled a little too hard because I went flying off the bed and into the nearby wall. My nose was probably going to bruise but that didn’t faze me. I didn’t cry out in pain either; I was used to things like that. “Sorry,” she said softly. Once again, her voice calmed me down quite easily.

“Where are we going?” The words were out of my mouth before I could stop them. Sometimes, my curiosity got the best of me, and this was one of those cases. In fact, that seemed to happen a lot to me. I can’t really control my mouth.

“To see someone who can answer your questions.” This time Celine’s tone was slightly clipped, and I realized that whoever she was taking me to was someone that she obviously did not like. Even the way she was walking gave off annoyance: her feet were nearly slamming against the floorboards.

When she didn’t elaborate more than that I let myself think deeply. I needed to put my questions into an order so I didn’t stutter like an idiot when I actually met that person. In fact, I was so much into my thoughts that I didn’t realize when the lady stopped in front of a grand wooden door, and I nearly walked into her. Luckily, I stopped before that happened (barely).  There was gold lettering on the door in a language I couldn’t read, but it seemed to be French. (I’m horrible at French. Spanish all the way!)Celine glanced down and smiled at me one last time before raising her hand to knock.