Chapter 11 1/2

Continued
-Dante-

My mind went blank. I was shocked by the words that came out of Sherice’s mouth. I frowned and said “A baby?”

My hand fell from her face. I stepped back and mumbled once more “A baby?”

I heard Sherice sigh and say “Yes, a baby Dante.”

I looked up at her quickly and said “Who told you that?”

She looked defeated and turned around to walk away. Wait? Does she think I really am having a child with Amelia?

I quickly grabbed her arm and she turned around with my help. My other hand rested on her waist. “Who told you that Sherice?”

“It doesn’t matter Dante…..I read the note. Everything was there-“

I cut her off and said “The note? What are you talking about? What note?”

Fifteen minutes later I was reading the note and relief flooded through me. I actually started to laugh.  “Listen Sherice, I’m sorry but I don’t know where this note came from but it’s definitely not Amelia’s writing. I can ‘t believe you thought she was pregnant by me.”

The look on Sherices’ face was indescribable.  

“Are you really going to stand here and lie to me Dante.”

I frowned and shook my head then grabbed her hand. “Sherice, look at me. I swear to you that I am not lieing. I wouldn’t do that to you….I respect you….and I care about you too much to do that. I don’t where this came from but I promise you that this not Amelias and she is not carrying my child.”

She sighed and I grabbed her chin and made her look at me. Staring into her brown eyes was doing something to me. I licked my lips and said “I promise.”

I watched as she smiled a little and then looked away.

As I stood there holding her hand I realized that I really did want to be with her. This woman was something else and I wanted her to be standing by my side, so I said the next thing that came to my mind.

“Hey do you want to go to a banquet dinner with me Friday night. It’s for my job and I really don’t want to go, but I’d be honored if you would be by my side.”

I could tell she was debating it in her head so I quickly said “It’s just a dinner and some awards will be handed out but it shouldn’t be more than a couple hours. We can even leave early if you want to. Please just come.”

I watched as her lips formed into a smile and I couldn’t resist leaning forward and kissing her cheek.

I wanted to do more than that but I didn’t want to overstep my boundaries.

“Yes I’ll go with you Dante.”

I smiled and guided her over to the couch to sit down.

We sat down and talked like we had never stopped.

-Days later-

-Friday Evening-

-Kevin-

“Dang baby, you sure have a good hand. My lip still hurts.”

Nika chuckled and walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my waist. “Baby, I said I was sorry but you knew that was coming to you”.