Chapter 8

Kanji stood tensed at the dockyard of the Kandla Port. The port was famous for its imports of iron and steel machinery but also handled exports of salt and textile.

Kanji had just outseen loading of garments from their textile factories into a ship to be exported. But that was just the cover up. He was waiting there for arrival of an important cargo.

“Bhai, Was it necessary to drag me into your business tonight? If police decide to attack us at least one male family member would have been safe.” Ram asked annoyed.

“If you claim to be a male family member then act like one. I am trying to get you involved in family business. Now pay attention.” He snapped.

Ram had been on cloud nine since his return from the utsav three days ago. He had not touched whiskey or any women. He had been happy day dreaming about Leela all day long. When his friends had tried to find out what was wrong with him he had just brushed them off. He had been devising ways to sneak up and see Leela.

Ram’s brother Kanji earlier that evening had asked him to join for some business.

Kanji punched his speed dial and said in cautious tone “Listen, I see that the ship is nearing the dock. I want my box out in five mins of docking. I do not want any trouble. Keep it ready.” He cut his call and looked towards approaching ship.

Captain Rajiv Sharma cut his call and ran his hand through his hair. He was the captain of that merchant ship. He hated breaking law. But working as per law at Kandla port was impossible. He was pressurized by Kanji to help in contraband deals or face backlash.

The ship was carrying oil from Middle East but had made one more stop before coming towards Kandla port and Kanji’s consignment was loaded on it.

The ship docked in berth and the platform was lowered. Kanji had got Ram and three other friends with him. They all moved towards the entrance. The labors started descending towards the dock.

Rajiv Sharma came down the ramp and extended his hand to Kanji and smiled.

“Hello, Kanji bhai so I meet you again. How are you doing?” he asked.

“I do not have time for these pleasantries. If you can just move fast and unload my cargo I will get going. There will be change of guards at the port gate in ten mins I have to get out of here at that time.” Kanji replied irritated.

Rajiv signed and asked his labors to bring down the cargo. The labors hurried up and brought down a huge box. It was taken over by Kanji’s friends and loaded into their transport truck.

“Here is your payment for the cargo. I will have another shipment next month will let you know then.” Kanji said handing over a huge bundle of currency for Rajiv.

“I think at least I must know what was in the cargo? I am worried one of these days I will get caught by the coastal police.” Rajiv asked worried.

“Do not worry about things that are not of your concern. Just do as much I tell to you.” Kanji growled.

Rajiv hurriedly said good bye and left from there. Once he was safely on the ship again he dialed from his phone.

“Rana ji, it’s me Rajiv. I have just now handed over the cargo to them. I tried finding out what was in the shipment but Kanji just snubbed me off. They are heading towards their village and he has only 4 more guys with him.”

He paused to listen “Ok …sure will do that…. please remember about my payment. Now that they are away from me you can do as you wish. I just do not want Kanji bhai to know I gave him out. He will kill me for sure.”