Chapter 6

Leela woke up in early hours of the morning. Sun had just then broken from the horizon and birds were chirping at a distance. She smiled on content.

Last night she just wanted to relax for some time and get back inside the tent. But then her thoughts kept going back at Ram and she had drifted off to sleep on the chair.

She had a strange dream last night, in her dream she ran towards Ram and embraced him. He spoke soft loving words into her ears. But suddenly he left her and disappeared into the desert. She kept searching and calling for him all through the desert. She was now relieved that was just some dream.

She went to get up but a jacket slipped off from her. She was surprised to see the jacket as last night she did not remember getting one on. Then she thought that one of her brother’s would have covered her night when she had fallen asleep. But she did not remember any one of them owning that jacket.

She slowly brought the jacket closer and sniffed it. The scent that filled her nostrils seemed familiar from somewhere. The scent has intoxicating and comforting. She smiled and wore the jacket not wanting to part from it just yet.

Today was the last day at the Utsav. Already some families had started leaving the tent city.

Durga and his family gathered at the dining hall for the breakfast and started chatting with the Chief of Police who was already present there.

Chief of Police, Samar Singh was from Punjab. He was almost nearing his retirement. He had taken many measures and had restored peace in this part of Gujarat. Samar Singh wanted a crime free state. But it was a difficult task with warring communities and smuggling activities through sea route towards the border. He had befriended both Kanji and Durga and always tried to negotiate some truce between them both. He had major headache each year maintaining peace whenever these both confronted each other face to face during Rann Utsav. He was happy that this year the utsav was closed without a single incident.

Samar Singh said, “Durgaji, I am very happy that you and Kanji kept your promises and had a peaceful utsav. I wish all the time it is so between you both.”

Durga frowned, “Samarji because of the promise I made for you I was quiet and even stopped my son’s from reacting but those bastards have done horrible things for us during utsav. Like I told you before they stole our winning camel and hence Kanji’s brother Ram won at the camel race this year else from previous three years we were winning the race. And do you know what that Ram had done yesterday? When my family was touring Aina Mahal he had cornered Leela alone. I do not know what he was planning to do. But I swear now only that if they hurt my family in anyway then no amount of your intervention can protect them from their down fall.”

Samar Singh patted Durga’s shoulders, “I know Durgaji that because of your patience only we had a peaceful utsav. But what am I to do? Kanji’s father was a sensible man he would have understood the situation but with his murder Kanji mother has become a bitter lady and she keeps poisoning his mind. But Ram tried to hurt Leela? That is hard to believe I have spoken to that lad he is not like Kanji he does not believe in enmity and all. He is an easy going, charming guy. ”

He said, “Hey, I forgot to tell you one more thing your camel was found in your own village. It seems it was hidden in the common camel shed in the next street of your house. I think Durgaji this is an insider’s job. I have got few of my guys working of this to find out who had come to your house that night.”

Durga and his sons were shocked to find out that their camel was hidden in their own village. But they did not believe in Samar Singh’s words that Jadeja’s had not done it.

Leela and her sister-in-laws left to pack their things to head back home.

Urvashi was the wife of Leela’s eldest brother Arjun’s. She was very beautiful in womanly ways. She and Arjun were married for ten years now. They had two kids Aditya and Vishnu.