Chapter 10

Leela had heard about the fight between Rana and Kanji that happened last night. She did not know the details about it but was eager to find out if Ram was present with Kanji. As she was about to enter the living room she noticed that her brothers were up very early that day which was rare.

Rana had got few daily newspapers and was flipping through the pages viciously as if searching for a particular new. Leela stood back and did not enter as she felt the mood in the living room was elevated.

Rana growled, “There is no news bhaiya! It was such awesome news how can they not print it? Are you sure bhai you gave it to the right person?”

Arjun ran his fingers through his hair frustrated and said, “Of course Rana, Varun Pal said he will make sure the information is leaked to other newspapers as well. But he promised he will print the photos with a sensational article in his own paper. I do not understand how he did not print it. I will call him and find out.”

He dialed the number and found he was not able to reach Varun Pal. He shook his head in disappointment.

“I think he is avoiding us Rana. He must have a reason for not printing the news.” Arjun said.

“I think he is just a cheating rodent. He must have taken the pictures to Dhankor Devi and got a price for the same. I will teach him a lesson for playing us.” Rana growled.

“No Rana I do not want you to do anything to him. Hurting a famous journalist becomes big news in this country. Let me handle this. However getting the article published was just the icing on the cake. You have already looted them. Be happy with that.” Arjun said restraining Rana.

Rana smirked, “Of course I even punched those losers. You must have seen faces of Kanji and Ram. I got so much kick out of it. Ok bhaiya just this once I am leaving you to handle that journalist. I will leave now.”

Rana walked out of the house. Leela let out the breath she was holding. She was distressed to know Rana had punched Ram. She felt her love story was over even before it started. She thought that now Ram will never come for her.

She felt as if a hand was clutching her heart and twisting it painfully at the thought of losing Ram. Her mother was passing by where she stood heartbroken and looked at her daughter worried.

“Leela, Are you all right? You look miserable." She asked.

Leela composed herself and said “No maa I am alright. Last night I was not able to sleep well and so feeling little tried.”

Saraswati Devi took her hand and led her into living room saying, “Come on my dear I will make you fresh cup of coffee. You will feel better.”

Leela did not argue and followed her mother. The day passed by slowly for Leela and she went about doing her tasks. It was soon night and the household was getting ready for the dinner.

Leela’s sister-in-laws Urvashi and Charu were making roti’s in the kitchen. Leela was helping them make some salad. She was lost in her own world and was not paying attention to their talks.

Urvashi neared her slowly and shook her by shoulder, “Leela we are talking to you from so long but you are not even aware we are in this room. What is wrong with you?”

“I am sorry bhabhi I did not hear you speaking to me. Please tell me what you asked me?” she asked sadly.

“We just were asking why you are looking so low today.” Urvashi replied.

Leela just signed and shook her head “Nothing bhabhi I just have a bad head ache. I will feel better if I sleep I think.” Leela left the kitchen not giving her sister – in-laws chance to enquiry more.