Chapter 7

Leela was left in state of utter confusion. She just stood there in the dark shed trying to understand how her life suddenly got so complex. Her mind was filled with great turmoil. Her heart was still hammering excitedly from the sensation she felt being in Ram’s arm.

She knew what Ram said was true if she was not with him she will be miserable for rest of her life. She already was having difficulty from stopping herself to go and find Ram.

But she knew it was forbidden wish. She knew her wish to be with Ram would come at a very high price. She did not wanted to be the reason for her family’s downfall.

She just closed her eyes; few stray tears escaped her eyes. Her parents face came to her mind. She thought of her brother’s and their family. She questioned herself if her happiness was greater than safety of her family.

Her mind went through everything what Ram had said. She did not find anywhere his declaration of his undying love for her or even he did not try to reassure her about the impossible alliance between them.

She slowly got out of the shed and started walking towards her tent. She just treasured the moment she spent in there with Ram and decided to lock it away in some corner of her heart never to open.

She came to the tent and found that all their things were already packed and loaded in the bus.

Her brother’s Arjun and Pratap were helping their respective wives to gather things around to head back home. Rana was walking out carried two small boys of either side of his waist and carried Navya on his shoulders. Her parents were talking to each other and looked content.

Looking at the scene in front of her Leela decided causing trouble in such happy family was not fair. She cannot have any relationship with Ram.

She was not even sure with her feelings towards Ram. He was a complete stranger to her and she did not want to risk all for him. All she felt was immense joy when she was with him and instant sense of loss when she was away from him.

Leela decided she would not act upon her feelings for Ram. She will not look at him near the bus stop. She hoped she would forget all about him when she returned home. But her heart clutched a little painfully when she decided not to look at Ram before leaving. She felt as if she was crumbling inside.

Sarawati Devi noticed Leela standing at the door looking lost, “Leela, Where had you been? We were looking for you. Are you ready to leave?”

“I just went to say bye to my friend’s ba. I am more than ready to get back home.” She smiled forcibly.

“Come on cultural minister is here. Let’s all go thank him for the wonderful arrangements.” Durga said.

Rana asked annoyed, “Must we go baba. The minister did not arrange all this. It was done by the event organizers.”

Durga smiled, “Oh come on now. We have to always be in good books of these politicians. I am the head of the village. I have to extent such courtesy. If you do not want come Rana take everyone else with you and get them settled in the bus. I will take Leela and wish minister and come. ”

Everyone went with Rana towards the bus stand.

“Ok beti come let’s go meet the minister and go home. Your brother does not understand we have to keep ministers close to keep authorities far.” Durga said. Leela just smiled and went with her father.

***********************

Ram was having the hardest one hour of his life. He was pacing around his tent like a caged lion. He realized when he gave Leela one hour to decide about their relationship he thought he was doing the right thing. But now he was having his doubts. He thought why she would believe in some stranger’s words and dumps everything she has and run into his arms.