epilogue: gravity.

goodbyes keep dragging me down

FUNNY ENOUGH, CECILIA TAUGHT JAMES A LESSON THAT, MUCH like the ones that she was taught as a child, he would never forget. Hearts, even his, were breakable.

At the end of his sixth year, James thought that he was done for. He had finally gotten over the girl who always rejected him only to fall for one that would use him, love him and then leave him within a few months. He had done terrible in his end-of-year exams due to his heartbreak and worst of all, he had cost his Quidditch team (that deserved the cup more than anything) the chance at the finals.

All in all, he had hit rock bottom.

The only positive thing that had come from the experience, as far as James could see (which really was not that far without his glasses), was that Lily Evans (said girl who always rejected him and hated his guts) and James had started to have actual conversations rather than James asking her out and she threatening to hex him into the next century. The two had even become close friends.

Then, something happened.

One day, during the middle of the summer holidays, a beautiful tawny owl came to the Potter's residence to drop off two sets of envelopes, one for James and one for Sirius. However, instead of just an envelope that held James' book list, out fell a pin with the letters HB engraved on it.

"No way," Sirius said, staring at the pin in both awe and shock.

James swallowed, his widened eyes unmoving from the pin, "Do you think he made a mistake? Put it in the wrong envelope?"

James' mother, who had been watching the two boys from the kitchen, chuckled, "Dumbledore makes no mistake, that wise old man. Fleamont! Get down here! We need to have a celebration!"

From that point onwards, James decided that it was time for a change.

The bespectacled boy spent the rest of the holidays putting himself in a mature mindset and when September 1st arrived, the boy was almost unrecognizable besides his unruly hair and the constant Sirius Black at his side. Yes, the Marauders still wreaked havoc in the halls of Hogwarts but there was something different about James Potter, and everyone noticed it.

Now, two years later, James felt like he was on top of the world.

He had graduated from Hogwarts side-by-side with his best friends and his girlfriend (now wife), all five of them collecting a handful of brilliant NEWT-level grades. He had become an Auror and dedicated most of his time towards the Order of the Phoenix, an organization sworn to protect the innocent and rid the world of evil. He was married to the girl of his dreams and they were currently expecting a child.

Most of all, he was happy.

But it's when you're happy that the past decides to pay you a visit.

James Potter and Sirius Black were strolling down Diagon Alley, the two looking for things to put in James and Lily's new house (things that Lily would definitely not approve of) when there was a loud bang followed by screams.

As if their minds were connected to each other's, they both did the same thing at the same time: ran towards the source of the disruption rather than away from it. Much to no one's surprise, the noise was created by Death Eaters, followers of the infamous, self-proclaimed Lord Voldemort.

The brotherly duo engaged in a duel with the group of Death Eaters, back-to-back with each other as they flourished their wands and called out different curses. In between each spell, either James or Sirius would find a way to squeeze in a snarky remark.