01: fumes.

running on fumes but we'll make it through the night

THE BOY COULD NOT UNDERSTAND HOW SHE COULD REJECT HIM all these times. The ginger Muggleborn shook her head once again, her resolve as strong and stubborn as it had been since the first time he popped the question.

"For the tenth time today, no! I will never go out with such an insufferable git like you!" she practically shouted at him in the middle of the common room. Usually, Lily Evans was able to keep her temper in check but there was something about James Fleamont Potter that just made her tick. Her existing Prefect duties and the worries of NEWT's (though they were now in their sixth year) were bearing down on the girl and she did not want to have to deal with the boy and his foolish antics for another year.

She stormed away from him, going up to her dormitory to escape his presence, and James remained in the center of the living space. Most of Gryffindor House was already accustomed to the constant quarrels between Lily and James so they paid it no mind; however, there still existed a few second years that chose to gawk at James like they had never seen a boy been rejected by his one true love in their lives.

James narrowed his eyes at the group and snarled, ready to snap at them and ask if they couldn't mind their own business when Sirius threw an arm around the boy's shoulders and pulled him to sit on a sofa by the fireplace.

"Prongs, Prongs, Prongs. I don't care what she said, that was the most beautiful serenading I have ever heard in my life!" the Black exclaimed, pretending to wipe tears from his eyes.

Remus, who was on a speedy recovery after a full moon, wasted no time in adding, "Yes, the part where you compared her eyes to the colour of McGonagall's robes really touched me."

"No, no, no," Peter said as he dropped himself onto the space beside James, "Your long and luscious hair; no one in the castle, not even Dumbledore, could compare. That was golden."

The three boys snickered as they teased their friend who, even though he was slightly defeated by her rejection, refused to give up. He had been pining over the same girl, the one and only Lily Evans, since their first year of Hogwarts. Though she turned him down countless times, the boy never gave up. Now, the Marauders had already entered their sixth year at school and James was still hung up on the Muggleborn witch.

"Tease all you want, you wankers. But I can feel it, this year is the year that Evans will fall for me," James said surely, with a large grin plastered on his face.

"Didn't he say that last year?" Peter asked the others, raising an eyebrow.

They both nodded and Remus said, "And the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that."

James rolled his eyes and Sirius, always there to save his brother from endless teasing, jumped in, "How about we go to a party? That always gets you feeling right."

"Only one problem," Remus said, "There's no party going on tonight. At least, not in Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw."

Sirius smirked, "Oh, but there is one in Slytherin."

                                                                                 *          *          *

Uncharted waters.

That was the only thing on James' mind as he entered the Slytherin common room that night. Every square inch of the room was unexplored territory for each of the Marauders (for obvious reasons, seeing as it was the Slytherin common room and they were all proud Gryffindors). They had never been to a Slytherin party before so all of this was new to them.