02: rock + roll.

i ain't scared of living

JAMES AWOKE THE NEXT MORNING WITH THE MOST POUNDING headache that he had ever had in his life. It felt like his skull was trying to fracture itself from the inside out while his brain tore itself to pieces. He sat up from his bed and his head spun, the world around him blurring in and out of focus. He rubbed his eyes under his glasses (that were still on for some reason), trying to get rid of the sleep that threatened to pull him back in.

He threw the duvet off of him and was surprised (more confused but still surprised) to see his three best mates on the floor beside his bed. They were all sprawled out on each other, fast asleep. Remus was using Peter's stomach as a pillow while Peter held Sirius' leg like it was a teddy bear. Sirius' head was resting against the bed post of James' head and the three boys looked as they did after a full moon.

What happened to them last night?

James got up and stretched before checking the time. Somehow, he was up early (it was barely even six in the morning yet) so he decided to get a fresh start on the day. He dragged himself into the bathroom and took a hot shower, taking extra time to wash his hair. It was growing out at a rapid rate and by now, he could fit the tips of it into his mouth.

He put on his uniform, his robe thrown over his shoulder instead of him wearing it at once and left the dormitory, his friends in the same position that he saw them in moments ago.

The hazel-eyed boy made his way down to the Great Hall for breakfast, trying to piece together the activities from last night. The last thing he remembered clearly was talking to Cecilia at the drinks table (it was more him stuttering like a fool in front of Cecilia at the drinks table, but he'd never confess that to anyone) but from there on, everything went hazy. It was as if someone placed a bubble over his memories as they were all distorted.

James shook his head, choosing to ignore it.

Plus, the past is the past.

He entered the Hall and wasted no time in walking over to the Gryffindor table, sitting down and preparing himself a plate of breakfast foods. There was barely anyone in the hall at this hour, just a few people scattered here and there at each of the four tables. However, one person caught James' eye from across the room.

Cecilia.

She was sitting at the Slytherin table, her dark hair tied up in a high ponytail while her coffee-colored eyes scanned the pages of a book.

I wonder who crawled out of her bed sheets this morning, James thought, watching as she turned the page of her book. Then, as if she felt James' stare on her, she looked up and met his gaze. Cecilia rose an eyebrow at the boy and he turned his head, breaking the intense hold that she had on him.

The boy continued to organize his breakfast plate, and had begun to eat from it, when the rest of the Marauders burst into the hall. They all look anxious and fatigued, as if they had spent the night containing a wild animal and it had gotten loose (little did James know).

"James! What are you doing down here?" Sirius said, a look of relief passing over his (as well as Remus' and Peter's) face as they all sat down next to their friend.

James took another bite out of his toast, "Eating breakfast; what else do we usually do on a morning in the Great Hall?"

"Yeah, but," Peter started, watching the messy-haired boy carefully, "How are you feeling?"

James snorted, "Obviously better than you three. What happened to you guys last night?"

"What happened to us?!" Remus bursted out, his voice louder than anticipated in the quiet hall. All eyes snapped to the group and the tall boy mumbled an apology. James' gaze raised from his toast back to Cecilia and he noticed that she was already watching the group, amusement shining in her eyes.