T W E L V E

****
Corenthus
****

As soon as he had appeared, he swung his blade and severed the beast's head, then watched it slowly slide off its blood soaked pedestal and onto the ground. He had gotten in at a good time: the beast was unaware of the semi divine presence of him, and before it could really turn its grisly self to face the new threat, the blade sunk sickeningly deep. 

Once he knew the beast was no longer making any noise, he shoved the nasty corpse harshly to the side before it could fall on top of his protectee. From that point; when the eyes of both the protector and protectee met.... time seemed to just come to a major slow down. He reached out, knowing that she could only see his eyes beneath the hood, and pulled her falling unconsciously limp body into his arms. Had he been in time? What if he hadn't? Oh, Lord, let the Angel of Death have mercy on him.....

The hood was up and the face underneath bore a solemn sour look. He then sighed and shook his head. This was not supposed to happen this way.... This was not supposed to happen at all..... She was supposed to be safe.... 

****

Sometime Later...
****

The haze slowly started to let go of her, and her eyes opened only by a slit, to notice it was indeed dark wherever she was. The only illumination came from the dim candle that was almost burned out at the corner of the nightstand next to the soft mattress she currently laid upon. Her head felt a bit foggy, and she reached up to touch her aching head, the dull pain in her skull making her close her eyes once more. At the same time as her eyes were shut, her mind brought forth the images of what happened not long before....

The beast..... the man.... the sword.... wings...

Her body shot straight up, eyes popping open, heart beating much faster in its state of panic. Where am I? She forced herself to get up, and move to where she thought the door was..... Turns out she was right; as soon as she reached for the little metallic glint of reflected light from the candle, another force pushed it open, and she stumbled back into a half defensive position, slowly getting a good look as much as she could....

It was the man that saved her. 

His hulking form was absolute and once again their eyes met. 

The seconds it took for her to realize who it was, her body filled with rage she didn't know she had. Charging at the man, her hands balled up into fists unknown to her own volition, and started swinging into his hard muscly chest. 

He gave a soft sigh and stopped her hands just as she came at him. "I'm not here to cause you harm." His voice was kinda dark as it was deep. 

Her eyes glistened with some sort of confusion and she twisted to break his grip.  She grunted softly and just let herself stand there. Her only response was to growl at him lowly.

He chuckled softly, but a small sigh left his lips. He wasn't hiding this time, considering she had woken up, making him come up the stairs quickly, before he could hide his face again. He didn't want her to fear him, or try to run for that matter.

Silence persisted for a fraction of the time they stared each other down, finally he relented and let her hands go, while reiterating what he said: "I'm not here to cause you harm. Only to keep you safe."

"I was handling things just fine." She growled and teared her eyes away from his.

He sighed. "You would have been killed. " He softly said.

She laughed. "So what? I have nothing to live for anymore!" She felt the burning of her tears behind her eyelids, remembering that her father hadn't been her father.....

He tilted his head and sighed a little more. "You're worth a lot more than you think. You have everything to live for..."

She blinked quickly and turned sharply towards him as a thought came crashing through her mind, followed by anger. "Revenge! Yes, revenge!" Her excited rage made her bounce on her toes a little. "I saw you fighting! You must teach me how to fight!"

He placed a hand on her shoulder, to try and calm her down. "Revenge isn't the answer...." He started but she reached up and, not knowing what possessed her to do so, but touched his soft slightly stubbly cheek, shushing him.

"Please?" She questioned, and he sighed again. The look she gave him, on top of how pretty she was... Made him melt instantly.

"Fine...." He whispered, knowing full well Death would probably slay him for this....

She gave an excited squeal and hugged him, cutting off whatever else he was going to say. "Thank you! Means so much to me!" He closed his eyes at the feeling.

"We start bright and early in the morn."
****