S E V E N

After her shower, she went back and laid down... ended up napping free of nightmares ...

And woke up to something falling, with an audible clang.

Kori jolted awake, sitting up rigidly and glanced around her room, yet saw nothing out of place. She frowned softly, before glancing at the time.

5:03 PM

She sighed and settled back down, probably her mom... just as the thought passed her mind, another clang was heard from downstairs.

"Kori!" Her mother then yelled, just as another sound was heard, this one different, the front door slammed, followed by a grunt; her father must be home now. Yet Kori got up anyway, and headed downstairs.

"Yes, Mom?" She said kindly, and tried not to look at her father; the hair on top of his head that was just like hers, except more grey now with age, and eyes that showed pain, rage, and exhaustion.

"Dinner's almost done," Her mom said quietly, as if talking too loud would disturb her father, who had gone and plopped himself into one of the kitchen table chairs.

Before Kori could really say anything else, her dad's eyes focused abruptly on her mother. She wasn't sure she wanted to see what happened next.

"Sara." Her father mumbled softly, and she saw her brown haired, and blue eyed mother turn towards him.

"Mark." She said quietly... before stepping closer, then glanced over at Kori. "Please, leave us, darling." She said softly, and smiled at Kori.

She had no choice, backing away and heading up the stairs a little. She couldn't keep her curiosity at bay, and peeked just around the corner to watch...

Seeing her father pull her mother into his arms and just hold her there, around the waist, mumbling softly. "I'm glad to have you ..." He whispered.

Sara smiled softly, and ran her fingers through his slightly greyed strawberry blond hair. "I know... and I'm only yours..."

Mark nods and nuzzles her neck softly, before placing gentle kisses along her neck. Sara closed her eyes a made a soft sound in her throat; pleasure.

Kori knew she should leave... and nearly did... Turning away for a second, before hearing another crash.

Spinning around again, she took in the scene.

Mark was standing up now, and a look of rage coated his semi wrinkled features, the sign that he was somewhat drunk evident. Her mother had been thrown to the floor.

"You aren't loyal, Sara! I could smell it on you! Who was he?" Mark snarled and got closer to her fallen mother.

"No one! I wouldn't, ever do that!" She had tears in her eyes and voice, panic evident as she tried backing away.

"Lies. Lies. Lies." He hissed venomously with each word and reached over to pick up a knife from the counter; one Sara had been using to cut vegetables for their dinner.

"Mark, babe... I never lie!" Tears fell from her eyes this time, and he placed the knife's edge against her throat.

Kori wanted to interject, save her mother from his drunken rage; but her body was frozen in place.

"You are right now! How can I be sure that Kori is even mine!?" He hissed and got closer..

"She looks just like you..." Sara said quietly, and swallowed.

"Really..." He said lowly and tilted his head.. slowly raising the knife...

Kori wasn't able to see what happened next as a bulky black haired male charged into the room behind Kori and quietly pulled her away from the scene. She spun around and looked at the man closely, grey eyes. She backed away, and swallowed. "Why are you everywhere! Who, are, you?" Kori bravely hissed.

"Death is something you don't want to see, darling, I'm sorry." He said, his voice deep and thick, clearly avoiding the second question.

Kori wanted to let out a scream, but her mother beat her to it.. a scream of pain. She then shoved at the grey eyed man to get into the kitchen, or at least make him move. "Do something!" She felt tears running down her face, and the man closed his eyes... just as Mark appeared at the door.

"Its your turn, Kori..." He growled softly, and she scrambled back.

The grey eyed man suddenly had a scythe in hand and prevented her father with a bloodied knife from getting any closer.

"Run, Kori. You're not meant to see this." He said in a deep voice, and Kori did just as he said; run. Against her will, but she ran nonetheless.
****