T H I R T E E N

*****
Morning of the Following Day
*****
Kori
*****

The sun peaked out through the clouds at a nigh 6 A.M, barely even warming the dew on the grass before Kori was hopping out of bed, like a bunny in spring.

Excitement boiled through her veins, today was the day. She couldn't contain herself - it was to be a very special and successful day. Not only would she see him again, but learning to fight? Well, she hadn't felt this excited since the first time she was asked to a school dance. Wait, that was .... Never. Maybe it was the thought of being asked.... Moving on.

Kori made herself get dressed quickly, after a short, unconvincing shower, that would scream wet more than clean. Black yoga pants, tight on the buns, it would seem, and a simple black tank top, also tight, yet comfortable. Her side thoughts suggested that maybe he would enjoy the view..... She blinked the clear her mind and instead focused on running shoes bad heading downstairs nearly 2 at a time.

Hitting the final landing she then darted to the kitchen, grabbed a quick bite, and turned her attention to the clock. 6:42 A.M.

"New record." Kori mumbled to herself around a slice of banana bread, the last thing her mother baked before.... Her thoughts went gloomy for a second, looked at the yummy dessert like bread, and whispered softly, "Til we meet again, Mom." And a final resigned sigh, she shoved the last of piece in her mouth, and savored the taste before she swallowed. Her stomach eased from hunger, she moved on.

Kori reached the backyard, and looked over to the lone oak tree in the middle of the yard. It was some far off, compared to the rest of the yard. She sighed softly and closed her eyes, fighting the tears tht began to well up. Why did this have to happen to her? How was she going to afford to live here still without her parents?

She blinked her eyes for a second as she took in the entire yard, and home. Furrowing her brows, she was puzzled. This was all destroyed last night. How....  Kori let her thoughts trail off as she realized everything had been fixed, as if the monster and the death of her parents never even happened.

"Kooooorrrrriiii!!!!!!" Her attention snapped from those thoughts as she focused on the voice that called her.  Before she could fully focus on who was calling her, Kori's body was pushed, yet not fallen, into a very tight hug.

"Daiz." Kori muttered as she recognized the raven black hair. "What brings you here?"

Daiz laughed and let her go, tossing her black hair behind her, and brushing Kori's strawberry blonde tone over her ear. "Uh, you silly!! Why wouldn't I come see you on your birthday?"

Kori stared at her dumbfounded. She didn't realize what day it was. She blinked then laughed. "Oh, right, that lame holiday of mine."

Daiz lightly punched her arm. "You only turn 18 once! Let's go do something fun! Get away from here."

Kori sighed, "Do you know what happened last night?" She wondered, maybe her friend did know something about the monster and the killings and the mysterious man with wings.

"Nah, man, I was sleeping at home all night. What did happen-?" Daiz said softly, looking at Kori with a confused look.

"Oh, nothing." She said quickly to drop the subject. Before she could even say anything else, Daiz continued as if nothing was said of yesterday.

"So why are you looking like you gonna exercise or something? Work out?" She snickered softly.

Kori shrugged. She couldn't very well tell her friend that she was going to take fighting and defense lessons from a man she didn't even know the name of. "You know, getting my run on...." She trailed off and let her eyes wander around real quick, wondering if he was around at all. Her eyes caught a shadow move back behind the oak tree and was gone. "Let's go, Daiz." She grabbed her friend's arm and pulled her towards the street for a jog, hoping she didn't see the shadow.

Another day,  she thought. It'll have to be another day.

"Ugh, I hate running." Daiz groaned yet followed her friend anyways, keeping pace easily.

Kori and Daiz jogged the street down and around the block. Kori couldn't help but feel like she was constantly being watched by all the neighbors. It seemed like every single one of them was out watering their lawns at that particular time.

One man, kept his eye trained on her, since one was hidden behind an eye patch. "He will come for you before too long." He said to her.

She shivered and glanced at Daiz, who was unfazed, like she heard nothing at all that was said.

"You weren't meant to survive!" A woman's voice cackled out to her. Kori quickly moved her gaze straight ahead.

Who were they talking about?

Daiz nudged her softly as they neared the end of the street, turning the corner. "Hey, let's call it complete. I got something in mind for the rest of the afternoon."

Kori turned her attention to Daiz. "Oh, like what?" She then noticed they were almost to Daiz's house.

"Movies - candy - ice cream. You know, what you want to help you celebrate being 18." She giggled softly. "Maybe it'll help you seem less distracted."

Kori came to a stop, and let Daiz lead her into her house. "Thanks. I think I am going to need that."  She smiled softly, starting to feel the pressures of her own thoughts and the neighborhood eyes ease up a little bit.

Maybe this will do some good.  She thought to herself as she followed her friend and got all settled in Daiz's room, on her bed. She felt safe. Like nothing was going to touch her here. At least, for awhile.

*****