4

It felt like a lifetime waiting for the lift to finally arrive on the eighth floor. The lift doors slowly creaked open showing the hallway. A sudden chill hit me causing my arms to get goose bumps all over them, I stood there frozen for a moment. I put one foot forward, slowly trying to get my confidence to go into the hallway. Before I could get out the lift doors closed and I was heading downwards. I cussed to myself, why didn't I just go for it, I had the opportunity to do find out the truth and I was too scared.

The lift dinged indicating that it got to a floor level and was opening the doors. The doors opened up revealing the ground floor. I walked out, taking a deep breath I didn't know I was holding in. I went and sat in the reception area, looking like the other mindless zombie like residents.

I just sat there, letting my thoughts take over. Why was I so scared, it's not like I actually saw anything. At the end of the day rumours are normally just rumours. The quicker I prove this, the quicker I can enjoy the rest of this mini get away.

Taking a deep breath I stand up and go back over the lifts, pressing the up button. I waited patiently whilst trying to build up my courage. Giving myself a pep talk in my head, this is the first time that I've actually been worried about a job. Before I've never worried about speaking to people about tragedies that have happened locally or big events. This is the first time that I'm actually scared that a rumour was true.

I walk inside the lift and press the eight button again, this time feeling a tiny bit more confident. I'm just overthinking this, it's more than likely just a rumour and they don't let people sleep on the eighth floor due to a refurbish or a vermin problem that they don't want people knowing. The lift finally got to the eighth floor and the doors opened once again, this time I actually walked out into the hallway.

It was silent on this floor unlike the one that I was staying on. It had that mysterious feel about it but that could just be my mind overthinking about it. I take a picture of the empty hallway on my phone as proof that it looked just like the others. Taking deep breaths I start walking down the hallway, interested why no-one can stay on this floor.

I walk up to a random door and try opening it, to have a look inside. It opened with ease and I tiptoed inside worried at what I might see. However when I got inside it looked nearly identical to the room that I was given the floor above. Making me question why this floor was closed, looking around inspecting the room. I couldn't see no sign of vermin, but I guess they wouldn't just be sitting there waiting for someone to see them.

Maybe it is just a way for the hotel to get more customers, this is all just a silly rumour for them to make money. I start walking back towards the lift when I see something down the hallway, something that was different to the hallway upstairs. I start to walk towards it to investigate more.