New School

***

I knocked on the hard, wooden door. Calmly waiting for someone to open it. You see, today is special and some-what life changing. Today I change my life; make a sharp turn around, refresh myself and my future. I raised my hand up, ready to knock again, but before my hand reached the door it rushed open, causing me to jump back in shock.

“Oh, I’m sorry dear.” The old women who was now standing before me rasped. Her golden brown eyes shining in amusement as her face lit up in an old wrinkle smile. I stared at her for a moment, awaiting her orders to allow me inside of the classroom. Which I should say I'm absolutely dreading, but life goes on I guess. 

“You’re the new student, correct?” She quizzed, while she put a rough hand on my shoulder, and started gently yanking me inside. “Yes,” I said slowly, feelings rather odd, and out of place to talk to this women whom I’ve never seen in my life. 

“Dumb girl! Of course you’ve never seen her! You moved to a far distance, and you’ve started a new school.” I scolded myself inside my mind getting lost in thought on how stupid that was of me to think. “Idiot,” I grumbled under my voice. I looked back up at the teacher and realized she was giving me a concern expression, which also lead me to realize I was making face expressions along with my thoughts. I quickly looked away hoping to avoid eye contact.

“Are you alright?” She wondered aloud. I glanced my gaze towards her, and chirped,

“Quite.” She furred her eyebrows together and just nodded her head.

“Very well then, let me introduce you to the class, and then we can get started after we find you a place to sit.” She said, and I replied with a simple, “Alright.”

 She led me to the front of the class, and beckoned for the classes’ attention.

“Class, as you know, we have a new student today. Go ahead darling, tell us your name.” She said, as her gaze and everyone else’s lead towards me. I mentally groaned inside of my mind, but did as I was told.

“Lizzy Coleman,” I said, my voice ringing throughout the class, the southern accent in it grasping everyone’s attention, and some snickers here and there.

“Oh, that’s a pretty name. Where do you come from, Lizzy?” The old woman asked, while digging through a pile of papers. Clearly, not interested in what I had to say, which kind of pissed me off. But I had no interest in her either, so why was I so concerned?

“Fairhope, Alabama.” I replied coolly. The teacher looked up from the pile of papers, and up at me, slightly pulling down her bi-focal’s to get a better glance at me.

“You came all the way from south Alabama, to Jamestown; North Dakota? What could possibly be the reasons for that?” She huffed, growing bored of the conversation she was only forcing herself into. Me on the other hand, had no interest in it from the beginning. 

“Reasons.” I replied, looking back at her now, “May I have a seat now?” I questioned, staring the wrinkle women down; knowing I was making her uncomfortable. It was a habit of mine, to look people straight in the eye; without blinking until they respond with the answer I want.

“Ah...yes. Sorry, I was side tracked. Let me take a look at my list and see what seat is available for you.” She said, trying her hardest to avoid contact with my hard gaze. She started flipping through all of her papers, mumbling something as she did so. Her eyes blossomed up when she saw a familiar sheet of paper, she even added a comment to her discovery,

“Ah, here it is!” She chirped, “Now let’s see..” she muttered while her index finger scanned the small print, until it finally came to a resting spot.

“Here we go!” She practically yelled, excitement high in her voice. I winced when she did so, my ears started to ring; while a few giggles escaped some lips of others.

The teacher walked over to me, and rested her hand on my mid-section of my back, and pointed to an empty seat at the back of the room, in a corner. My heart stopped when my gaze trailed over there, a guy with dark chocolate brown colored hair, and frosty blue eyes; staring right at me, or, more frankly, right through me. I shook my head in attempt to clear the image of his eyes out of my mind. I had a feeling it wouldn't leave my mind any time soon, either. 

I sighed and started slowly walking toward my new seat. My legs lazily dragged my feet along. I passed everyone else's table, until I finally reached mine. To my dismay, the desk were joined together, forcing me to sit close to this model looking fool. A groan escaped my lips as I flopped down, jumping a little from the chills that were riding up my spin from the coldness of the seat. I heard a faint chuckle come from beside me. I turned my head, and stared sharply at the idiotic beauty that was staring at me, with a goofy smirk on that pretty face of his.

“What the hell are you smiling about?” I demanded, my intense gaze not giving up on his care-free one. He just shook his head and looked away, not caring about my rudeness. I huffed and turned my head back up to the front, pretending to be interested in what the teacher was saying, some-what listening to what she was saying about some project, that I hope is something I wouldn’t be forced to do.

Later on in the class, she had passed out everyone a worksheet to do. Being me, I didn’t know anything on it. I sucked at math, like totally failed at it. All my life, I couldn't do good in math, it was like a curse to me. But my brother Kevin, on the other hand, was like a math god. I don’t know how the hell he does this, but he can finish a 50 question test in about 10 minutes. Never in my life had I known anyone to be able to do that besides him. 

I was half way through problem two when my pencil lead broke, messing me up worse than what I was already doing. I grumbled, and brought my hands up to my forehead and started slowly rubbing my temples slowly.

“Need help?” I heard a deep, but yet soothing voice say. I let my eyes travel to where he was sitting, looking at him out of the corner of my eye, my head staying put. I sighed, and started to shake my head, rubbing it even harder this time.

“I suppose, I do.” I mumbled.

“Here,” He whispered as he leaned over and started pointing out my mistakes and walking me through the process. The whole time he did this, I could feel the heat hot on my face, and it wouldn’t let up either. The closer he was, the better I could see his eyes. They were magical, and stunning, eyes that made you feel like you were soaring through a deep dark sea, but you knew you were in no danger. I couldn’t help but get lost in them every time his stopped and looked back at mine. I felt as if I was in a trance, but he snapped me out of it with simple words like,

“Do you understand?”

“Why are you staring at me like that?”

“Helllooo!” And in return, all I could do was respond with a small,” Sorry,” He would just laugh softly, and smile that smile with his perfect plump, cotton candy pink lips. I swear, this guy made me feel sick and if I don't get away from him soon I think I'm going to collapse.

As if someone from greater power heard my prayer, the bell rung, saving me from puking all over the place and I figured that I most likely needed to study the work he just taught me, so I thought maybe I would head to the library for little bit after school. I only had three days, so I needed all the quite and study time I could get.