Chapter 4

Itachi sat alone in his office. He could hear the hustle and bustle outside of the room and knew that he should be doing something President-y, but right now he had other things on his mind.

Namely his little brother and Naruto Uzumaki.

He chuckled when he recalled their last emails. Even if they hadn't been signed he would have known immediately who they were from. Naruto's full of emotion, dramatics and childish flare. Sasuke's straight to the point and poisonous in its simplicity. He felt a small rush of pride. Damn, that needed to stop.

Sighing, he pushed his chair back and stood to walk toward the bookcase. Moving the plastic award Naruto and his team had gotten him for Bosses Day that read 'World's #1 Boss... assuming everyone else is dead', Itachi popped off the false backing and removed the contents he found.

He walked back to his desk and placed the two files next to each other on his desk and recalled when they had come into his possession.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Itachi sat quietly looking into the eyes of his father, Fugaku Uchiha. After today he would be on the other side of the desk. His father was retiring from Uchiha Inc. and leaving Itachi as the company's President. The decision really didn't come as much of a surprise to anyone. Fugaku had been grooming both of his sons to succeed him from birth.

Today's chat was in essence a 'leaving interview' for Fugaku. Itachi needed to be filled in about everything that could be found in the company's records and the few things that could not. Things that the incoming President would need to know to avoid future problems, scandals and annoyances. As ominous as it sounded, Fugaku ran a tight, clean ship and there weren't that many skeletons to air out.

Itachi's eyes connected with his father's once again when the older man cleared his throat.

"And that is all that you need to know in regards to the company."

Itachi nodded.

"But," Itachi couldn't stop the dark eyebrow that raised in question, "there are two other things that we need to discuss. Things that will be your top priority."

Again, curiosity peaked, Itachi nodded.

Fugaku pulled out the middle door of his desk and withdrew two file folders which he tossed across the desk at his son. Only the young man's quick reflexes stopped them from cascading to the plush carpet.

He looked up to see the smirk on his father's face. Returning the look, Itachi motioned to the folders. "May I?"

"Of course." Fugaku said waving a careless hand in the files direction.

Itachi picked up the first folder. Both were of considerable width, packed with information. Turning the folder to the side, Itachi read: Sasuke Uchiha. Casually opening the folder he saw photos and information that chronicled Sasuke's life from infancy until, Itachi read the date on the last page... yesterday.

He looked to his father. Why would he need a folder of information on his little brother? If he needed information he could just as easily hit speed dial '3' on his cell phone and be connected with the boy immediately.

Setting that folder aside, he pulled the second folder towards him, lifting it up to read the name printed on its side: Naruto Uzumaki.

"Those two boys, along with yourself, Itachi, are the future of this company. I have invested time, personal interest and money into all of you. Now that I am retiring, these boys will be yours to watch and guide."

Itachi stared at the man. He could understand Sasuke, but who was Naruto that he held such an obviously important place in his father's life?

As if reading the question directly from his son's mind, Fugaku answered, "Naruto is the son of Minato Namikaze... he was a friend."