In Heat: Chapter Four

Chapter Four

     That one single word echoed through my mind, sending body into a blazing frenzy. Every inch of my skin burned with such intensity, making his every touch ten times more electrifying. I swung around to face him, his eyes shining down at me with passion that matched my own. My breathing became heavy as I slowly edged my face closer to his. A primal urge inside me was shouting at me to taste those soft, sensual lips once more. I ran my hands through his black hair, loving the way he caught his breath as I touched his skin. Pulled his head down towards me crashing his lips against mine, kissing him with such urgency and hunger I had never felt before. As soon as our lips touched he seemed to be sparked into action. He lifted me off the ground, wrapping my legs around his waist, as his hand gripped my behind tightly. I clawed at his head neck, needing to feel him closer to me. As I moaned into his mouth his lips started to trail kisses down my jaw and neck. When he reached the crook of my neck, he grazed his teeth against me skin making me moan once more. Smiling at my reaction against me neck, he grazed his teeth against me once again. As well as filling me with pleasure it sent a small tremor through my body, causing my joints ache slightly. As I scrunched my face up in discomfort he pulled away from me. He eyes slowly met with mine, instead of the passion that filled them once before they were now filled with concern. I tried to edge myself closer to him but he just lowered me to the floor and stepped away from me.

     “Did I do something wrong?” I asked confused by his actions.

     “No but you haven’t shifted yet have you?” he asked, studying me intensely.

     “No.” I replied hesitantly, as I looked down at my shuffling feet.

     “We can’t do this.” He said quickly running his hand through his hair and shaking his head.

I felt heart sink as I saw the disappointed written all over his masked face.

    “Wait.” I said stepping towards him but he just continued to step away from me.

    “I’m sorry I can’t, this is wrong. I’m so sorry but I have to leave.” He said as with eyes filled with sadness.

I tried to reach him as he started to race away from me but he was too fast. I could just about see his body heading towards the crowd. As soon as he started weaving his way through the dancing, laughing bodies I lost him. I slowed down my pace knowing that finding him would be almost impossible. If only I had shifted my senses would be sharper and I’d be able to pick up his scent but I can’t. As I walked slowly around everyone I could feel tears running down my cheeks. For some reason I felt as though I had lost something amazing. Unable to control my emptions any longer I rushed into the house and hid myself away in my room.

   As I awoke the next morning I had never felt so terrible in my life. Despite the fact that I wanted nothing more than to stay locked up in my room, I dragged myself out of bed. As I slowly made my way to my en suite I glanced at the clock and was shocked to see it was twelve o’clock already. I was surprised my mother hadn’t come looking for me, as I never lie in. although I was thankful as I wasn’t really sure I was ready to face everyone yet. Which is weird as I’m not completely certain why I am so upset? It’s not as though it was the first time I had been rejected or had people change their mind about me. There was just something about last night that hurt me worse than anything I had ever experienced, I felt humiliated and hollow. As I stepped into the bathroom I caught my reflection in the mirror, shocked by what I saw I froze. I had managed to wash off the black face paint last night but you wouldn’t think so looking at me now. I had dark rings around my eyes and my skin was pale and pasty, all except my cheeks which looked quite flushed. I turned on the cold tap and splashed it over my face, hoping that I could make myself presentable. When I was reasonably happy with the way my face looked I jumped into the shower. Thankfully the warm water eased my aching joints and headache. After about half an hour I thought I had better get out and show my face downstairs. I brushed my teeth and towel dried my hair before getting myself dressed. As I wasn’t really feeling wonderful I just pulled on my usual baggy jeans and baggy t-shirt. I tied my hair in a messy bun as I headed out of my room and down the stairs. I could hear my parents talking as well as some over voices but I wasn’t really paying much attention as to who it was. I slowly opened the kitchen doors and turned towards the dining table only to stop dead in my tracks. Sat at the table were Caleb and Liam. Everybody stopped eating and turn to look at me, immediately I noticed the smirks on my fresh faced elder twin sisters, as per usual.