In Heat: Chapter Two

Chapter two

     My blissful slumber was abruptly ended as I felt a small body jump on my stomach and the voices of my bickering nieces, nephews and sisters filled my ears.

     “Stop pulling my hair.” I heard one say.

     “Amber, Cody kicked me.” another said.

     “No I’m a fastest runner.” Another said.

I could tell I was going to have to get up and sort them all out; Amber and Amethyst weren’t going to be able to sort them all out. I open my eyes to see the smiling face of Lacy, one of Pearl’s younger twin’s.

     “Up Jadey. Up up.” she said bouncing on my tummy again.

     “I’m awake Lacy, I’m getting up see.” I said pulling myself up to sitting.

I sighed as I looked at the bomb site I called my bedroom; normally I would be awake before all of them, that way they couldn’t trash my bedroom. I was sleeping so heavily though I didn’t hear any of them. As I glanced over at Amber and Amethyst they burst out into laughter, as I looked around the children all the older kids began to laugh as well.

     “What’s so funny?” I asked starting to feel a little self-conscience.

     “Nothing.” Amber said struggling to stop herself from laughing.

I looked at her suspiciously as I got up to my feet and hurried off to my bathroom, to see if I had something on my face. It wouldn’t be the first time one of the kids had drawn on my face. When I looked in the mirror I saw nothing, my hair was a little messy but it wasn’t bad enough to make anyone laugh. What on earth was up with them this morning, I eyed them all carefully as I walked back into my room. They were up to something or they had already done something that was for sure. With Amber and Amethyst on board it could only be trouble. Perhaps they had done something to my room; I would have to search the whole place once they had all left. I quickly grabbed my dressing gown and slipped it on.

     “Are you sure you need that?” Amethyst asked smirking.

     “Well I always wear my dressing gown in the morning. Why wouldn’t I now?” I asked narrowing my eyes at my sisters and crossing my arms over my chest.

      “No reason just thought you might be a little too warm for that this morning.” Amber answered.

      “No I’m fine thanks.” I replied starting to get more and more confused.

     “Fair enough.” They said in unison as they jumped off my bed and joined me in front of the rabble.

       “Oh Jade.” Amber said leaning into my ear. “How was your evening?” she asked giggling again.

      “Fine you should know I spent it with you lot.” I answered trying to act indifferent.

       “We would believe you but look at your feet.” Amethyst said leaning into my other ear.

I glanced down and saw the dirt on my feet, what if they knew what I did? They would be sure to tell my parents, that or they’ll use it as blackmail. For being the youngest they were the most ruthless.

      “Oh that.” I said, coming up with an excuse quick. “I was struggling to sleep so I sat out for a bit, you know to clear my head. I Must of stood in some mud or something.” I continued smiling at them hoping they bought it.

      “Fair enough.” They both said, seeming to be content with my answer.

      “I’ll be right back I’ll just go wash it off.” I said over my shoulder as I headed back to my bathroom.