Chapter 20- Done

[Attention: I rewrote the last half of the chapter. I hadn't realized how awful it was when I wrote it the last time, so it's quite a bit longer now and their fight is more well-written (in my opinion anyways) I'd love to see what you all think of the new ending!!!] -March 31st

Chapter 20-

Elizabeth’s POV:

As hard as I tried I couldn’t keep my mind from running to the possibility that Nathan might be my brother.

It sounds crazy, it has to be crazy. Nathan is probably dead. I haven’t seen him since he disappeared with my parents when I was six! Can it really be possible that he’s been living happily in a home with people that love him, just for us to run into each other one day?

That whole idea is just complete insane, and since when do I ever get something good in my life? No, this kid couldn’t possibly be my brother. It’s just wishful thinking.

But then again, the pieces all add up. The ages are the same. Today is the anniversary of my fake death. It’s the anniversary of my parent’s death. His name is Nathan, my brother’s name is Nathan. He has a photo of his sister…

“Kent have you ever really seen the picture of Nathan with his sister?”

“Yeah, he was really sad one day when my parents first adopted him and was looking at it and showed it to me. He told me a little bit about her, but it was brief and he said he couldn’t remember her as much as he wishes because they were so young when they were separated.”

“What’d she look like? Did she have brown hair?”

“Yeah, I think so. Why do you care so much though?” Should I tell him? No, he’ll think I’m nuts and then I’d have to explain my past, and he’ll know all about my messed up childhood and things will get even more complicated and awkward. Besides, it still might not be my Nathan and I’m just getting my hopes up only to have them crushed in a few minutes when we pull into the cemetery.

Seventeen minutes later we pulled into the cemetery and after a few minutes of driving around through the roads looking for Nathan we spotted him in the exact same place where my headstone is. That confirms it, Kent’s adopted little brother is my actual little brother, whom believes me dead.

If only he knew the truth….. No, if he knew the truth he’d probably hate me for not coming and finding him after all these years. But in my defense I believed him dead as well until now. The last time I saw him he was four years old, being dragged out the door kicking and screaming by my father. I’m shocked they didn’t drop his body off over a bridge or something.

“He’s gotten so big.” I mutter to myself. He’s taller than me and just as lanky with the same hair color and everything. “He’s exactly like a younger guy version of me.” My eyes burn a little as I think this. I never thought I’d see him again!

Kent begins unbuckling his seatbelt but I put my hand out to stop him, “You should let me talk to him first, in case he tries to run when he sees you or something.” Actually I just wanted to talk to my brother alone.

“We’re connected you idiot we have to talk to him together obviously.”

“Oh, yeah….” A frown flits onto my face as he reminds me. I look down at the handcuffs briefly and silently curse them.

We approach Nathan slowly and stand a few feet behind him with Kent on my left. I wonder if he’ll recognize me now. I look so different that it’s doubtful, but what would happen if he were to recognize me? Would it be possible for us to pick up our relationship like no time has passed?