Chapter 11- Jack and Jill

Chapter 11-

Elizabeth’s POV:

I kept staring in his eyes for just a moment longer to see if the feeling of dread would pass, just so I could be happy. Just for a second. No worry, no sadness, no pain, just happiness, just for a moment I could be dragged out of the life I’ve been living for the past nine years. It’s been too long since I’ve felt a real smile on my face.

The feeling didn’t pass. Keeping our eyes locked, I blocked my emotions, and you could almost see his eyes turn pleading for me to let him back in, but my only response was slowly prying his fingers off of my face. The warmth could still be felt there on my chilled skin.

“We need to go home.” My voice was no more than a whisper, but we were still only inches apart and the sound had probably traveled up his nose, over his cheekbones, and up into his ear.

He nodded, and moved silently around me, slowly swinging his leg over the bike and putting his helmet on. His movements were robotic and stiff- almost like he was in a trance.

Tentatively I reached up with my helmet and set it carefully on my head, slid slowly onto the back of the bike, gently grabbing the sides of his waist, making sure to keep our bodies apart.

That was just too weird.

-(*@*)-

We pulled up the long drive, and let me tell you- It. Looked. Awesome!

The large, white two-story house was covered with orange and brown streamers so that it looked kind of like it was TP’d.

On the living room windows there was window paintings, of turkeys and in the front flower beds there were little plastic turkeys. There was even a large inflatable turkey out to the left of the house on the grass, with its large red beak and pilgrim’s hat it stood about eight feet tall- a whole three feet taller than me, it was sort of intimidating, but cheerful at the same time.

I hitched my right leg off, grabbing Kent’s left shoulder for balance. No one had arrived yet- in fact there wasn’t any sign of life anywhere.

“I don’t see anyone, you?” I decided I’d just ignore the whole park-scene and house-scene, hopefully he would too.

“Nope, I don’t see anyone. A few people are probably still in the back, making sure everything’s perfect, a lot in the kitchen working on the food, my dad trying and failing to get the electronics set up while silently cursing me for leaving him to do it, and my mom’s running around fixing thing and yelling orders and every helpless creature she sees…even the pets.”

“Wow, you really know your family.”

“Yeah, don’t you? Oh wait, I forgot, your dad just wants to kill you.” He went all sarcastic and rude on the end.

So he’s obviously still mad I won’t tell him anything. Oh well, it’s his own fault for wanting to know in the first place.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Build a dang bridge and get over it already. What happens now?”

He growled, but didn’t comment further, “Now we go face my mom, and the lecture she has planned for us for ditching with the party planning- like I do every year.”

“Can’t blame you, parties….well parties suck.”

He froze mid-step, which really wasn’t the best idea, because we’d been going up the front steps and freezing caused him to lose his balance, and he fell backwards, sliding all the way down.

I couldn’t help it. His face, was just too dang hilarious! I bust out laughing for about three seconds until he slid the last few steps, which caused the handcuffs to pull me down with him.