Chapter 17- NIghtmares, Nightmares, and Nightmares Again

Chapter 17-

Elizabeth’s POV:

My eyes flutter open to a dark room and a throbbing pain in my left shoulder, just above my heart.

The room is almost pitch dark, but a thin line of light escapes from the hallway  into the room, illuminating Kent, sitting in a chair, calmly watching me.

I push myself up, neither of us moving our eyes.

“You shouldn’t get up, you should rest.” He says without any conviction.

“People should do a lot of things that they shouldn’t do.”

“Like jump in front of bullets to save two kids they barely even know?”

“Yeah, something like that.”

We stared at each other for a little longer until a doctor came in.

She’s short and round like an Umpa Lumpa, but with one look in her eyes shows she always in charge, and rightfully so. “I’m doctor Bailey, but you can call me Miranda, Elizabeth. It’s an honor to meet you.”

“Hello Miranda, you can call me Liz, and the pleasure is all mine, though I wish the circumstances could’ve been better.”

We both chuckle. I like her already.

“Drown, shot, and dead three times.” She says in slight wonder.

“Doesn’t make for the best of nights now does it?”

She smiles at me knowingly, and I’m sure that she’s been briefed on my file.

“I must say Miranda your skills must be excellent for me to still be alive.”

“You’re a tough cookie to kill, darling. Now down to business. I’m sure you’ve heard this all before, so I’ll just tell you what’s new and not waste your time with all the busy stuff. Long story short: the bullet didn’t hit anything too, too vital, just a few muscle groups in your arms, but with you not feeling anything in that arm it won’t really affect you. I’d like to prescribe you some meds, but with your metabolism they wouldn’t work anyway. Just try and keep the wound clean so you don’t get an infection, alright? And if you think you are getting one come in and see me right away alright?”

I nod my head, thank her, and she makes her way out the door, but then realize I forgot to ask her when I’d be getting out of here.

“Oh drat.”

Without thinking twice my hands undo the machines and IVs and I hop down out of the bed, and go to the closet to get dressed, but a chest blocks my path.

“Can I help you?” I ask him.

“Get back in the dang bed, and answer some of my questions.”

“I owe you no explanation, Kenton.” I stare at him hard.

“Why does she know you so well, but you’ve never met.”

“I owe you no explanation.”

“What did she mean about your arm?”

“I owe you no explanation.”

“What did she mean about your high metabolism?”

“I owe you no explanation.”

“You can’t just not answer me.”

“Watch me.” Does he think he controls me? I just saved his cousins, if anything he owes me.

“Get back in the bed.”