CHAPTER 3

I knew, i knew what they were going to say, i just didn't want to except it. Red willow county, Nebraska. I placed the sounds that we heard above us. The tornado was the freight train we heard, the sirens that we heard were the sounding alarms of tornadoes approaching. Its coming for us and i know, that its a big one. "STRIKE!" I scream. I know its here. I can hear banging and crashing just above. Cupboards slamming, windows breaking, mirrors shattering. I look back at all of the good times in life and hoping that we will be okay. I have to keep my promise. Our promise. If i lose all hope, all hope will be lost for everyone. Boards are falling knocking the ceiling down on us i pull a desk over us protecting Grace's head with my hands as she lays on my lap. "I love you Lindsay!" Grace cries out, as if a call for help. "Grace, I'm not letting you go, I'm not letting myself go, I'm not letting that promise go...." i tell her. Tears spill down our faces and all we can do, is wait. 30 minutes later the tornado is gone from above us and the desktop we were sitting under had lost the drawer and 1 of the legs had broken beneath it. Grace is okay and that is all that I'm worried about right now. She looks up at ne with a pleading sorrowful look. "Lindsay your hurt! Lindsay are you okay?!" She shouts. There are scratches and bruises all over my face and arms. It hurts to talk and breathe. "I'm okay Grace, I'm okay. All that I'm worried about right now is you, are you okay." I make it sound as if a statement not a question. "I'm okay Lindsay! I'm okay! I love you!" She breaks down into tears as i throw the boards, beams shattered glass and the desk off of us. A piece of glass meets with my leg making it bleed profusivley, non-stop. Blood drips down the side of my leg and the glass cuts my ankle. "Lindsay! Lindsay your bleeding!" She screams in utter horror. Completely horrified at what she is witnessing. "Grace i will be okay, grab my phone out of my pocket and call for help." She reaches for the cellphone in my front pocket and calls 911. "911 what is your emergency?" The dispatcher asks. Grace doesn't panic completely but speaks meaningfully. "Help! Please help me! My sister is-" ("beep, beep, beep, beep...") the call is cut off.