Chapter 8

"Well, that didn't go as expected." I said from the passenger seat.

"No. It sure as hell didn't. And now he knows where you are."

"Not really. He knows I'm with you, yes. But remember, no one knows where you live. It's okay, Riley." His grip on the steering wheel lessened only a little bit. I noticed how he wouldn't look at me. The blood was dried on my face now. We pulled into his driveway, and I hopped out of the truck. I grabbed my stuff from the back and walked up the steps. Riley took my bags, and walked into the house. He put them down in his bedroom.

"Sit down." He ordered. I sat down on the bed, and waited while he dissapeared into the hallway. A few minutes later, I saw him walk into the bathroom, he came back with a bag of ice, and a wet rag. Gently, he started cleaning the blood form my face.

"I should have been with you." He said quietly.

"No. It's fine. Besides. You couldn't have stopped him in time." He  wiped all the blood off, and handed my a bag of ice. I looked down at it, and into his eyes. I didn't want him to feel bad. I'm the one that should feel bad. I got him into something he shouldn't be in. My phone buzzed, and I pulled it out.

Trenton:
Where are you?!?!

I sighed. I was hoping this wouldn't happen.

I'm safe. Don't worry. I can't come home for a while. Please don't come looking for me.

I hit send and within a minute, I had another text.

Trenton:
Sky, where are you? what's wrong? Did I do something?

I tried not to, but I couldn't help it. My eyes watered, and the tears spilled over. Trenton was all I had left, and making him worry was not something I wanted to do. But I couldn't tell him where I was. Because if he knew, then Marcus would soon find out to.

It's nothing you did, Bub. Please don't think that. I just can't come home for a while. I promise you I'm safe. I'll be at school, and you can text me, if you want. I love you.

I hit send, the tears falling off my face now. I bowed my head, my hair falling in my face. Riley was still kneeling in front of me. He pulled me into him, and I cried on his shoulder. I hated not being able to tell Trenton where I was. He was the one person I could tell anything to, besides Riley. My life was changing. Things were different. I wish I had a no second chances policy....

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

A month later.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Riley asked. I was sitting in his truck in front of my house, my bags packed, and in the back. I had lived with him for a month. It sucked, leaving. Because in leaving his house, I was leaving my sense of safety and security. But it was time to go home. I couldn't hide from Marcus forever. Hiding meant weakness. And I didn't want to be labled as weak.

"I have to Riley. It's time for me to go home. Thank you for letting me stay with you." I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. He refused to look at me, which I hated. Over the last month, Riley and I had grown close. He was my best friend. I wrapped my arm around his neck, resting my head on his shoulder for only a few seconds. When I got no response, I climbed out of his truck. I grabbed my bags, and started up the walk.

I stopped when the front door opened. Trenton walked out. He stood in the doorway and looked at me, then he noticed my bags. At the same time we ran forward towards each other. He caught me, and spun me around. He sat me on my feet, and looked at me.

"Welcome Home, Kiddo. I've missed you. I'm so glad to have you back."

"Glad to be back." He grabbed my bags, and I looked back at Riley. His head was on the steering wheel, his hands clenching it tightly. Even from here I could see that they were white. He moved one hand off the wheel, to the keys dangling from the ignition. He turned the key over, and slowly, he raised his head.

He looked over at me. I was shocked at what I saw. Or what I thought I saw. Riley's face was streaked with tears. But before I could get a good look, he sped off. Leaving me staring after him.

Welcome home. I thought. I walked through the door. Trenton tossed my bags in my room, and came back to the living room.

His goofy grin stretched from ear to ear, and I smiled in return. I noticed the dark circles under his eyes, something I never noticed from the times I saw him at school. I had caused him pain. And now I'm causing Riley pain. What kind of person am I?

"Welcome home." A voice said from behind me. Shit.

Oh yeah. The kind who wants to protect myself.