Twenty One

Chapter's song: What Do I Know? by Ed Sheeran

What is the deal with the whole sleeping with each other?

I mean. Yes. Of course I want to sleep with her, but that's not all I want from Kate. Is that what she thinks this is?

I really want to bang my head over the ledge for saying that stupid thing about what happens in Broome, stays in Broome. That's where everything is coming from, right? Bloody hell.

The guide stops the yacht and tells us that we can take a small boat to cross the waterfalls. It's like going through a wild river, the sea is crashing against the rocks and you can see how the water falls for like a couple of steps, before crashing down on against the currents.

"Are you okay with that? I ask Kate, careful not to fucking scare her even more.

She laughs. "Yes. Are you afraid Mark?"

My lips tug up but I don't really feel like smiling. I'm more worried about her little outburst from a moment ago, though. I let her standing by the ledge as I walk to the guide. I ask him to take us with the boat, but I want to have lunch over the island instead of the yacht. When we settle everything, I go back to Kate.

She gazes at me as I approach, the sea breeze is twirling her hair, but she looks beautiful with that blush on her cheeks. "I'm sorry," she mumbles embarrassed as I lean on the ledge, crossing my arms.

"It's okay. My ego and I forgive you."

She cracks up at that before passing a hand across her face. "Thank you," she says it in a low tone and I know she's embarrassed as hell. 

I'm about to ask her why does she feels like she has to be in defensive mode with me when the guide calls for us. We're walking to the lower deck and Kate steps inside the boat when I it dawns on me. She's defensive because she thinks she knows me. Just like everyone else.

All my life I've played girls, and she knows it. What she doesn't know is that she's not any girl. She's different. Unique. Too darn stubborn and too confusing for her own good, but I can't help but feel drawn to her. Worse. I want to be with her, and not just for one night. And I know she got something right, we can't sleep together. It's too soon, we're not home and I want her to see me as her boyfriend, not her summer fling.

For fuck's sake. I'm turning into Scott.

We put on our lifesaver jackets and we're good to go. I'm not sure if I should grab her hand now or not, but at the last moment, right before we plunge into the wild waters, I do.