Thirteen Part-One

Chapter's song: All about us by Jordan Fisher

"I should have seen this coming." Mark chuckles as he kneels down to take out all the equipment necessary to climb the wall. Because apparently, I need to climb a wall once in my life, and Mark thought it would be amazing to go for it today. At six AM.

Crossing my arms, I take a deep breath. "This is an ungodly hour to be up." I'm not admitting that the view is amazing. There's green everywhere and we're the only people here. Probably because of the hour, but the silence and the crisp air are relaxing.

Mark brought a large backpack with a bunch of stuff, like ropes, harnesses and other stuff that I have no idea what it's for. "Is your suitcase magical or something? All those things couldn't fit in it." It's true, when he stepped out of his apartment, he had a small suitcase.

His looks at me for a second and I try to ignore the way my stomach tightens. "I always do rock climbing when I'm here." He turns away to his equipment and my eyes follow his every movement. I can't help but stare at the way the muscles in his arms bulge. I have to give it to him. He has nice arms. Nice, toned arms.

I remember how whenever he came with Emily and Scott, he always disappeared. I assumed he was hooking up with some girl or something. I never realized that he could be rock climbing. Then again, I didn't think much of him at the time.

What if all my life I've had this bad-boy image of him and he's not who I thought he was?

My brows are furrowed when I hear his voice. "Are you ready?" I gaze at him and his eyes are much bluer than ever before. My mouth feels dry and my pulse accelerates. He's all ready with the equipment and he's holding one of the harnesses for me. Biting my lip, I gaze up the wall. It seems daunting, to be honest. Scratch that. It's fucking scary.

"How tall is it?"

Mark takes a step closer, his eyes are glinting and his smile is confident. "It's not too tall. Thirty-two feet at most. But I'm going to be with you all the way."

Thirty-two feet? Not too tall? He's insane, that's what he is.

I raise my hand. "I have a confession to make."

His smirk widens. "Uh-huh."

"I'm afraid of heights."

He brings a fist to his mouth and coughs one time. "You bungee-jumped."

Shrugging, I look back on the wall. "Yeah, jumping is one thing, climbing a wall is another."

"How so?"

I know he's trying really hard not to laugh at me, I can see how he's holding his laughter by the way he's pressing his lips in a tight line and holding his stomach. "That didn't require physical effort, dude."

He can't hold it any longer, and he laughs. Hard. I roll my eyes and cross my arms waiting for him to finish laughing at me.

Still hiccuping, he leans one arm on the wall. "Look, I'll climb and explain to you what you need to do, step by step. Also," he gazes to the top, "I want to place this ropes up so we have a safe climbing. I'm really making it easy for you, Kate."