Twenty-Eight

Chapter's song: Sam Smith, "Too Good At Goodbyes" (Love this guy!)

"Scott?"

Why are you calling me?

"Yeah, it's been a while, huh? You've been hard to catch on because you seem to be busy all the time."

I want to say that I have a life, as I'm pretty sure he does as well, but I bit my lip instead.

"Life has been pretty hectic lately..." My lips curve up as I think of Mark, and how I seem to be hopeless around him. I never thought I'd be head over heels for a guy like him, especially him, but here I am.

"I know. I have been trying to send you some code words because I was a coward to reach out to you."

My whole body stays still. Code words?

"Are you the secret admirer?" I hear him laugh and despite all this time, the sound makes my stomach clench.

It's been ages since I talked to him. I was so hurt when he left, like I wasn't enough for him and he had to look for whatever elsewhere.

The thought makes me frown and I feel a deep ache in my heart.

"I'm such a dork, I know. I can't say that I'm sorry, though. Writing you in secret has been the most fun I've had in a while." I frown. What is he talking about? He sounds so different!

"Scott, is everything okay?"

I hear him sigh and my chest tightens. "My life sucks right now, Kate."

My eyes roam all over my apartment. How can his life suck? Wasn't his wife pregnant?

And what to I have to do with anything?

"If I'm honest, I don't know what to tell you Scott. I don't know what you want from me, but now that I know that you're my secret admirer, you know, you can stop."

There's a pause. "I'm making you uncomfortable, aren't I?"

Hell yes!

"A bit." I take a deep breath and move in my seat uncomfortably.

"I'm sorry. I guess I just wanted to talk to you, you were my best friend for such a long time, and I just wanted to have that friendship back, I guess."

For a moment, I feel sorry.

Then I remember he dumped me and I want to send him to hell, but as I open my mouth to say so, I freeze.

If we were in a reverse situation, would I want someone to tell me off?

All he's looking for is a friend. I can be one. No matter what happened, I can hear him out. He seems to be in a rough spot right now.

"I can do that, Scott. I can be your friend, but no more flowers or cheesy quotes."

"Deal. I'm very sorry if I made you feel weird or something."