Twenty-four

Chapter's song: Sorry not sorry by Demi Lovato

I stare at the ceiling. I blink. Once. Twice. I exhale and frown.

What the hell did just happen?

Dinner was awesome. Or at least it seemed that way at first.

We were in a secluded part of the restaurant that made you feel like you were floating above the sea. Like, for real. The floor was made of thick glass and after you passed the initial shock of feeling like you're going to fall; it was pretty neat. The sky was painted with millions of stars that seemed to be shinning just for us. The sound of the waves crashing underneath were soothing while the breeze nipped my cheeks and the smell of the sea warmed my heart.

We talked about the places we wanted to see, and the things we would do if we weren't stuck in our own little worlds. I told Mark about my dream to actually write meaningful things and not petty advices to people that I've never met, and Mark confessed that he would have loved to be a climbing instructor. I honestly snorted at that and made fun of him, but deep in my heart, I knew he would have been amazing. When he taught me to climb, he was really patient, if I ignored the fact that he kept teasing me.

We talked until past midnight and after coffee, Mark walked me back to my room. My hands were sweaty as we crossed the hallway and I couldn't articulate one word until we stopped in front of my room. I wanted to ask him to come in, but I just couldn't find my voice. He cupped my chin and stared at me for the longest of minutes before leaning in and giving me a toe-curling kiss that left me breathless.

Especially when he turned away and went inside of his room.

I stared after him like an idiot way longer after he closed his door. When I noticed how silly I must have looked, I came inside and let myself fall on the bed.

Sighing, I glance at the door once more.

Should I just go after him and knock on the door?

But what if he doesn't really want me?

I mean, not like that?

Bloody hell. He shouldn't kiss me, then.

I felt a pang in my heart. It's like rubbing on salt on the wounds that Scott left when he dumped me. My eyes move to the cell phone on the bed stand.

Scott.

I wonder what he wants? I haven't heard from him ages and now he calls me?

It's like the whole universe is telling me that maybe I'm the problem. I'm probably bound to be single for the rest of my life.

I sigh.

Maybe I'm not ready for anything. Not even a summer fling. I almost snort at that. I know very well that being with Mark would mean so much more than a summer fling and in that moment, I'm thankful he walked away.