7. It's All About Family!

So here's the next chapter. Not much to say, except vote and comment. I love hearing what you all have to say about the story and where you think its going.

I know I said we see more about Nina and her past, but I want to bring it in slowly, as it is cruical to the overall story.

Anyway, enjoy. Can't wait to hear from you.  

____________________________________________________________________________

"You're just like your mother. Wasting your life on something worthless," I heard Suze mutter to herself at the dinner table.

Hearing this, any semblance of control over my anger went flying out the window. It usually did whenever Suze decided to bring up how 'unworthy' her sister had been in comparison to her.

"My mother was a nurse, if you think that helping people is a waste of time, then what do you think selling houses to rich idiots is?" I said scathingly. I knew that my face was burning with anger. I could feel my blood boiling under my skin and I felt as though I was on fire.

"Don't talk to your aunt like that," Simon spoke quietly, but with authority from the other end of the table. I was sat in the middle of the two, looking like the picture perfect family. Except nothing in life is perfect.

"And why not?" I spoke defiantly, yet working hard not raise my voice any louder than necessary. I knew from experience that loud voices got nowhere when arguing with these two, even if they did seem like the type to bring out the worst in anyone. Even the Pope would have a hard time not to curse at them.

"She's right though," Simon continued as though no one had interrupted him. "A little ambition might get your head out from the clouds. Get you thinking about a real career, instead of some dead end dream." I scoffed when I heard this, and I just couldn't hold back any longer.

"Oh yes, because ambition did you two the world of good, didn't it? You've practically sold your soul to the corporate devil. God forbid I don't end up in some 9 to 5 office job!"

At hearing this, both Suze and Simon went off on their own heated comebacks of 'How dare you' and 'No respect for what we do'.

"Oh, go to hell! Although from the looks of it, you're both already headed there anyway." And with, I stormed from the dinner table, without looking back and locked myself in my bedroom. Just so I wouldn't have to think about anything they had said, and also so that I could piss them off more, I turned my i-pod on it's loudest volume and began listening to The Clash, whilst I lay on my bed, staring at my ceiling.

It was only a few seconds later that I found myself pacing my room, trying to burn up some of my anger. My hands had unconsciously clenched themselves into fists and I had to remind myself to calm down, before I ended up leaving permanent scars on my palms.

I walked over to my beside table and opened the draw, to pull out the small dark blue beaded ring which had caused so much worry and stress for me over the past two weeks. As I sat down on my bed, I looked over the small, dainty ring which lay on my open palm. It was such a small, insignificant object, especially to others. And yet, it signified so much.

I hadn't looked at it since the morning I had first come back after the party, the same morning I had placed it in the draw. I didn't have the courage. A vague, small part of my mind wondered what Alec had done with his ring.

Alec.

How could he act so normal about the entire situation we were in? He barely knew me, and I barely knew him. I was pretty certain that we had both come up with misconceived ideals about one another, and yet, for all intents and purposes, he was completely unfazed.