17. 'You Do Have Friends'

A/N: Long overdue, but I did have exams to study for and then actually sit. This chapter goes out to all the fans and readers who sent me comments and messages which offered support for my exams as well as proclaiming their endless patience with me, especially those who understood why I wasn't going to post a chapter which was rushed and one I was not happy with. So to you, I hope this chapter was worth the wait!

As usual, vote and comment, and vote some more :p

______________________________________________________________

Beautiful. That was the first word that came to me once we had entered the woods.

Alec had led me down the backyard towards the some trees that bordered the surrounding houses. After entering them, we walked for a further five minutes before we had made it to a wooden fence which we had jumped over. The trees beyond the fence were thicker and the leaves were swaying in the gentle breeze. The golden leaves that littered the floor were dancing around our ankles as we walked along deeper into the woods. The sun was bright and left patches of shade all around us.

I had moved on further, glancing from the sky and the canopy above, to the view that stretched out beyond me, the stark contrast of gold and brown on the floor to that of the green and blue of the sky.

“So, I’m guessing from the awe struck wonder on your face, you like what you see?”

I turned to see Alec’s amused face looking at me, his lips twitching in the way they often used to do.

“I didn’t even know this town could be so amazing,” I said, still glancing around me.

“You didn’t know? I thought you’ve lived here for two years?” Alec asked. Even though I wasn’t looking at him, I knew he would be frowning.

“Well, I didn’t exactly wonder about when I first got here,” I responded, my voice a little defensive.

“And now?”

I looked towards Alec again and saw that his face held nothing but curiosity.

“And now… I guess I have no reason not to explore. I guess I just got in the habit of keeping to myself.”

“Ah, still so eager to get out as soon as you can, eh?” There was something in his voice I couldn’t make out. It was almost as though he was forcing the humorous tone that came with the words. But I didn’t think too much of it. Alec was an enigma.

So I settled instead for taking pictures of the surrounding trees. The colours were too good to pass up and the light was perfect. I walked around with my bag on my back, clicking my camera here and there, barely aware of Alec’s surprisingly gentle footsteps following me a few steps behind.

It felt as though I was taking a million pictures and spending hundreds of hours just getting sucked into the vast amount of colours. However, in reality, I know it was no more than half an hour or so.

After I had gotten all the pictures I wanted, I turned back to Alec, who was currently standing there, staring at me with that unreadable expression.

“What?” I could feel myself getting self-conscious and willed myself not to burn bright red.

“I want to show you something,” he said, suddenly all serious.

“What?” I couldn’t help but repeat.

“Wait and see.” And with that, he grabbed hold of my wrist and pulled me after him as he ran as fast as he could.