15. 'Some Say The World Will End In Fire, Some Say In Ice...'

Okay, as promised, here is the next chapter, uploaded as I said I would this weekend, written two hours before I have to go to work lol.

ANyway, I hope you enjoy it and this chapter goes to Nonnie228 for the wonderful cover image. It keeps growing on me, and if you notice, I amke a slight reference to it in this chapter, as well as to a well loved poem and also a reference to an amazing and yet not well known artist.

Vote, comment and enjoy. Thank you all x

_________________________________________________

School had become both my escape and my hell.

It was my escape from the sterile house that held no warmth or comfort my old home had. It was also an escape from Suze's disapproving glances and huff's of annoyance. I could tell she was annoyed by my lack of care when it came to my appearance. Lack of sleep had caused my skin to take on an unhealthy shade of white, making me look a mere ghost of the girl I once was. My red vibrant hair, although had grown a little longer past my shoulders, hung loose and dank. The one saving grace was that Simon wasn't home often enough due to an important case he was working on. Or perhaps that was a bad thing. With Simon out of the house, it meant more opportunities for Suze to put in her two cents.

It was my hell because Alec hadn't looked at me, let alone even talk to me. Dare I say it, I even missed his annoying nickname for me. Not that I'd ever admit it. It was my hell because the one person I wanted to be near me wasn't and the person who I held very little patience for kept irritating me. Justin had taken it upon himself to sit with me in the lunch hall and spew on about endless parties and football games. I never listened. I just stared out of the window and wondered what Alec would say or do to make me laugh if he were here, like that night in the club when Zach and guys were playing.

It was my hell because I was alone.

History class was much the same. I had walked in minutes before the bell rang and took my seat near the window. As I walked past, I had hoped to catch Alec's pale green eyes, so that he could know that I was sorry. Even if at the moment I couldn't say the simple and yet hardest word.

The whole hour was spent in a stiff tension. Neither of us would even glance at the other, but I would see him from the corner of my eye, that he sat straight, staring ahead at the front of the class.

As soon as the bell rang at the end of the lesson, he had grabbed his book and walked out of the door, long before anyone else had even made a move to pack their things away.

I knew it wouldn't be easy for Alec to forgive me. He was proud and it wasn't as if I was actively trying to seek his forgiveness.

We were both proud.

Although, perhaps I was more so. In all the times we had talked or hung out, he was always the calm and cool one. The one making jokes and making me smile, even when I didn't want to. I was the tempestuous one.

Like fire.

And he was ice.

*****

“I have had enough of this,” Suze exclaimed as she set her fork down on her plate. We were once again sitting down, having dinner as though it meant something to us to sit down and eat as a 'family'. It was a sham, one which I didn't understand as there was no one to witness it. But perhaps, I thought cynically, this was just another attempt for Suze to tell me how inadequate I was.

“You're moping is beginning to get on my nerves,” she continued.

Ah, I was right. First set Ms. Dimatteo. New balls please.