Chapter 7 - Dinner date

Mia pov:

Its been a week in the hospital. I haven’t been allowed to leave the room since my injuries were still really bad. I was given regular checkups by the doctors and the nurses and they changed my bandages every day. And I’m supposed to stay here for another 3 days.

The doctor said that I had been healing well and I could be discharged if I listened to him and stayed put for another 3 days. Well, its not that I minded resting, but it was so boring here! Back in my world, if I got injured….which was very very rare; I would be healed in a maximum of one day. But here since my chakra was sealed and I had to heal like a normal person, it took way too long.

But the days haven’t been too bad since lt Havoc visits me whenever he gets some time off work. He drops in almost 3-4 times a day and we spend the time talking. He’s a really easy person to be around and he’s good at making jokes. I don’t remember enjoying myself so much in such little time.

Of course, the colonel and his subordinates have visited me once or twice, but lt Havoc was my most common and often visitor. And to make things better, we have become really close friends and I enjoy the time we spend together. Most often, I eagerly wait for him to visit since it’s the only time when I have someone to talk to.

“Hey there Mia!” He walked in with a grin and I waved to him with a smile. “Hey lt Havoc!” He had a usually beautiful bouquet of flowers with him and he replaced the dried ones in the vase. “Isnt it about time you stopped being so formal? You should call me Jean.” He chuckled and I shook my head. “Alright, Jean.”

He opened the window and then sat down on the stool next to the bed. “So I heard that you can leave from here in 3 days.” I smiled and nodded. “Yeah...cant wait to get out of this gloomy place actually.” I said sheepishly and he chuckled.

We sat in an awkward silence for a few minutes. We usually started a topic the minute Jean came in, but today was oddly quiet. I bit the inside of my cheek and looked at my hands that were in my lap. “H-hey, Mia?” I looked up at Jean but frowned seeing him uncomfortable. He wasn’t looking at me and had a frown on his face. “What is it, Jean?”

He took a deep breath and then looked up to me. He looked determined and uneasy and I tilted my head to the side slightly in confusion and curiosity. “I was w-wondering…..would you like to have dinner with m-me when you’re discharged?” I smiled and giggled slightly. He got slightly nervous and looked away. “W-well, I’ll t-totally understand if you don’t want to…af-after all, its…”

“I’d love to go.” He snapped his head up and his eyes had gone wide. “R-really?” I nodded and he turned slightly pink. I giggled and he grinned. “That’s great! I heard you’re leaving the hospital on Friday…how about I pick you up at 7? I booked a really good restaurant and….” He stopped talking when he saw me smiling. I guess he was keeping his hopes high, seeing that he had already booked a restaurant and probably planned out what we would do on Friday.

“S-sorry….I just…” “Its ok. I’m actually really happy. If it wasn’t for you visiting me, I think I would have gone crazy being here by myself. And you even gave up smoking for me.” I teased and he rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. “Well, you said you it irritated your throat….” He said in a small voice and I chuckled.

He looked out the window and sat up straight. I turned my head and looked as well and smiled. “Its snowing.” I said and I heard Jean hum. “Yeah….looks like winter is finally starting.” I turned to him with a smile. “Yeah, its gotten a little cold and now its finally snowing.”

He perked up for a moment and looked at the clock on the wall. “Argh….I have to leave now.” He got up from the stool next to the bed and sighed. “The colonel’s gonna fry me alive if I’m late.” He muttered and I laughed. “Well then, go ahead. I think I’ll sleep for a little while.” He nodded with a smile and I waved as he left the room.