Chapter 38: Run To Me

(Jerwin's POV)

---------------- ?

Man.. That girl is really troublesome.

I jumped out of my truck. Kinawayan ko ung mga guards dun sa booth, and then went straight to my destination.

It was about an hour ago when I got out of a meeting with the manager and some of the album staff people. When I checked my phone, there was a voicemail from Tita Mel. Pumunta raw ako sa kanila as soon as possible dahil nawawala si Venice.

Syempre, nataranta din ako nung narinig ko un. I drove as fast as I could to their house.. Tita Mel ran up to me as soon as I opened the gate.

Venice rushed out of the house daw -- five hours ago. Tinatawagan, hindi sumasagot.. Tinawagan na ni Tita Mel sina Sheena, Anton, at si Kenny, hindi raw kasama nung tatlo si Venice. Nag-aalala na si Tita.

All this because the house is being sold?

I tried calling Venice, pero kahit ako, dinedeadma. I called Sheena.. She told me to try searching in the cemetery. I thought that'd be reasonable, so here I am.

And just like Sheena said, ahyun nga si Venice, nagmumukmok nanaman sa harap nung libingan ni Gerard.

I walked up to her, but she didn't seem to notice me.

Ako:Venice. Let's go--

I paused when she turned to look at me.

She has those eyes... blank.. expressionless.. lifeless..

I've seen those eyes before..

Ako:Are you... okay?

Venice:I'm not leaving. I can't leave. I promised G.. I promised I'd live my life here. I can't leave him behind, Jerwin! I can't!

What... is she talking about?

I held my place, even though the intensity in her whole aura makes me want to step back. I feel like it's one of those times when I shouldn't move.. One move and it will cause a shift in the whole galaxy.

Exaggeration, but it feels that way. 

Venice:I'm scared. Jerwin... My life is here. I don't know what will happen to me if I leave.. I don't know how I'll survive.. Just thinking about it... Just thinking about it makes me feel so alone..

She's obviously freaking out.

I sat down beside her. I didn't meet her eyes, dahil just looking at those eyes.. I remember now.. Two years ago.. They were the same eyes.. Frozen and lifeless..

Ako:Gerard is this important to you?

She nodded.

Ako:What are you worried about?

Venice:Weren't you listening?? I told you, I can't leave this place! I don't want to go to the States!

o_O

Ako:States?

Venice:You mean, you didn't know? My mom wants to take me with her!

Ako:Whoa! Hold on, hold on.. Back up a little. Kelan sinabi ng mom mo toh?

Venice:This afternoon.. Binebenta nya na nga ung bahay. Tapos balot na lahat ng gamit namin... :|

-____-

Ako:Did you really hear your mom say she's taking you to the States?

Venice:Eh what else could she have meant?

Uh.. I have a feeling she's misunderstanding something here...

Venice's usual dumb self. 

Ako:Let's go.

Venice:Go? I don't think I wanna go back yet.

Ako:Nope. I think you'd wanna go to where I'm taking you. Maybe it will shed some light on this whole thing.

Venice:Huh?

I got up and brushed the grass off my jeans. I offered my hand to Venice...

Ako:I'll make everything okay. :)

Venice looked at my outstretched hand, and then at me.. She looks confused.. I like her confused face better than the "lifeless" mask she was wearing moments ago..

I would give anything to keep that mask off her face.

I'll take care of her. I will make everything okay.

Ako:Believe me..

She forced a smile on her lips, and finally, took my hand.

Venice:I believe you.

I pulled her to her feet. Pinagpag nya ung palda nya, and then turned to look at the tombstone... probably saying her "See you later" words..

After a few minutes, she faced me.. Her face looks like it's back to normal.. The panic.. the fear.. the loneliness.. all gone from her eyes..

Venice:Let's go.

Ako:Go on ahead. I'll be right behind you.

Venice:Ohh-kay? o_O

She whirled around to leave. I can tell she's curious kung bakit ako nagpaiwan, pero di naman sya nangulit.. She just walked away..

I watched her hanggang sa malayo-layo na ung nalalakad nya..

It just occurred to me.. She's been here for five hours..

Talking to this.. stone.. because she's afraid to be alone?

I looked at the tombstone sa paahan ko..

Gerard Sheen... He died just a few days before Christmas..

That's harsh.

But to still be able to affect Venice to this extent.. two years after..

Ako:Gerard.. If you've been watching Venice from wherever you're floating, I'm sure you know who I am..

I stared at the stone.. with so much magnitude na parang talagang pinaparinig ko ung sinasabi ko dun sa lalaking hindi ko naman nakilala kahit kailan..

Ako:Venice might have ran to you this time, Gerard.. But next time she feels alone.... Next time.. I'll make sure she runs to me.