Prologue

"I can't believe we finally made it through residency, I mean honestly I didn't think I would ever be able to make it in a million years but here we are!" Scarlett basically screams at me.

"Is it just me or are you being just a tad loud?" I say quietly considering we are at our apartment and it is 1:45 in the morning. Scarlett has been my best friend since 3rd grade when she accidentally stabbed me in the eye with her colored pencil while trying to get my attention. She spent every day apologizing for the next few weeks until eventually she decided we could be best friends to make up for it. We created a bond and were inseparable beyond that point and now share an apartment after just getting finished with our residency as of a few hours ago.

"Jeez, what a trip. It took far too long to finally get this title although I would definitely have to say it's worth it!" Scarlett adds while still talking quite obnoxiously loud.

"I can see you're excited, you should just announce to all the neighbors while you're at it," I chuckle as she sends me a glare.

"Your sarcasm gives me headaches," Scarlett replies as she lays down onto the bed on her back.

"Maybe you should get off my bed and go take some medicine then Dr. Scar," I wink while severely hoping she will leave so I can get some rest before our first actual work day.

"Alright, alright. I'll go sleepyhead but please get me up in the morning. I'm not in the mood to wake up to an alarm," I roll my eyes at her but nod anyway.

"Thanks, Victoria! You're my favorite person in the whole world!" She announces while kissing my cheek and running out of the room without closing the door which she KNOWS is my pet peeve.

"Jerk," I mumble under my breath. I get up to shut the door and change into my XL t-shirt and fuzzy purple shorts. As I hop into bed, I realize that I forgot my charger in the living room. Considering I am still quite afraid of my pitch black room I sprint to the light switch as fast as I possibly can. I need to invest in a lamp. As soon as I get my charger, I head back to bed and try to clear my mind of the busy day I have ahead of me which deems unsuccessful. How can guys just think of nothing? I don't quite understand how that works.

"Victoria!" Scarlett whisper yells from my now open door.

"Hmm?" I mumble into my pillow.

"I have to go to the store and I'm not going by myself."

"Why on Earth do you have to go to the store at 2:30 in the morning?"

"I accidentally dropped the last roll of toilet paper into the toilet and I have to pee."

"How do you drop toilet paper into the toilet?!"

"I was washing my hands and it was sitting on the counter," she shrugs.

"Sometimes I wish you never stabbed me with that stupid colored pencil," I mumble while standing up to change.

"Thank you! I owe you!" Scarlett squeals while skipping out of the room. I finish changing and lazily pull my hair into a messy bun and go out to the car.

"I can't believe you did that. Are you not considering the fact that we have work at 7?" I scold.

"I did consider that, but sometimes bodily functions are quite important." I sleepily lay my head on the headrest of the passengers seat and hope this will be a quick trip. After getting in and out of the store as quick as possible, we head back with Scarlett singing her heart out the whole way. I don't get how she isn't even a tad tired.

When we get back, we say our good nights and head to bed. At this point it's 3 and I have accepted that I will get roughly 3 hours of sleep before a 12 hour shift. After rustling around for about 30 minutes I finally fall asleep, dreaming about the horrors that may await a sleep deprived doctor on her first official day.