Chapter 23

I quickly begin to fall out of my panic-stricken fit of rage when my phone vibrates on my nightstand. Like always, I am super nervous. I want to check it to see if Nick has texted me, but I’m afraid that I will get another message from my creepy stalker. I went unconscious for an hour or so, so he could have been in my house once again and have virtually no way of knowing.

            I hoist my slightly heavy off of the floor and meander over to my nightstand. I manage to muster up the courage to turn on my phone screen. I take a sigh of relief. To my delight, Nick has texted me. I open the message and it says, “How about we make dinner plans for tonight?”

            I slide my keyboard out from its resting place and unhappily tap out the response, “I’m so sorry, but I can’t. For some reason, my father paid me to stay here with him tonight,” then I add a sad face and push the send button.

            I playfully watch as my text shoots off into the complicated world of messaging that I’m completely oblivious to.

            I throw my phone on my bed and snoop around to see if my stalker had visited me again. Another surprise, no creepy items lie in my room. I do a miniscule victory dance, right before I receive another text message from Nick. I open the message to reveal a depressing sad face.

            I don’t know what to do. My father already paid me for the night, but I don’t want to risk losing Nick. He is a gorgeous doctor. He probably has a multitude of women drooling over him daily. Now that that thought has popped into my head I get the urge to scrape my brain for any possible way to see Nick tonight. I come across something. I slide open my keyboard and quickly text out, “Why don’t you come to my house for dinner tonight? You can meet my father while eating his favorite meal, steak!”

            My message blinks away and I faint unto my bed. I am bouncing with excitement. If Nick meets my father, then maybe some of the tension between my father and I will slip away. At least, that is what I am hoping for, but lately I haven’t really been getting what I want. I am not going to open that can of worms right now.

            I impatiently wait for Nick to text me back. It has been a little over a minute and I still haven’t heard anything from him. I don’t want to text again and seem like the psycho girlfriend that needs to know everything that he is doing, but I get worried if a boyfriend doesn’t text me back with a certain matter of time.

            Whilst waiting for Nick to text back, I hear footsteps coming from the staircase. There is only one person that could be running up the stairs, my father, whom I am still very mad at.

            I hear his footsteps stop in front of my door and then the sound of loud, irregular breaths, which confirms my prediction. He knocks on the door and I pretend that I didn’t hear it, but he enters anyway. The rule in this household is to knock and if no one answers, enter.

            He crosses the threshold into my room and I stare coldly at him. He gives me his usual blank stare. It’s so hard to be angry with him, when he looks like a lost puppy dog. He pout’s his lip and sarcastically asks, “What’s wrong?”

            I laugh and yell, “Well there are two plans for tonight. You are making steak and Nick is going to come over for dinner so you can thoroughly meet him. Is that okay? Good, because you really don’t get a say in this!”

            He laughs and falls on to my bed. I quickly pull my legs up into my chest so he doesn’t land on them. Right as he hits the surface of my bed, my phone goes off. I look at the screen and it is telling me that Nick has texted me. My father looks at my phone and smirks, which is a subtle gesture for me to look at the message that Nick has sent me. I lurch towards my phone and forcefully pick it up. I open up the text message and see that he said, “Sure! What time should I be there? Oh also should I bring anything? <3!”