Chapter 14

My alarm clock rings. Monday morning. I so do not want to go to school this morning. It has been a really negative, eventful weekend. Even though I do not want to, I push myself out of bed and begin to get ready for school. This is a horrific process for a girl. See high school is like a style competition, for girls at least. If you don’t have gorgeous makeup, trendy clothes and cute accessories, you get torn apart by the popular girls.

I don’t want to make myself all glamorous. I go with a simple smoky eye, light pink blush, and bubblegum pink lip gloss. Then comes the most seething part of the equation. Clothes. I look through my closet and look through every garment twice. None of my clothes are matching my mood today.

I decide to go with some black skinny jeans and a sky blue tank top. Over my tank top, I place a white jacket that has faux fur lined around the hood. I feel stylish. Wait! I forgot accessories. I need three accessories, because that is the magic number with women’s jewelry. I wear a gold belt, diamond studs, and a big pink bow in my hair. I feel like I run the world right now!

I walk out of my room and close my door, so my parents won’t go in there while I’m away at school. I run down the stairs and see my parents conversing. My dad says, “Hey darling!”

I laugh and ask, “Where you been the past few days?”

He sips his coffee and says, “Stakeout! It took us two days to prove that this man was a criminal.”

My mom interrupts up our conversation by yelling, “Oh my gosh! You look adorable!”

I frown and say, “I’m supposed to look sexy, mom! I am not supposed to look,” I pause to make her overdramatic face. Then I squeal, “Adorable!”

She shrugs and sternly says, “Sorry! You look sexy, not adorable!”

I smile and my dad unfolds the newspaper. He says, “I don’t know who you’re trying to impress. You are not allowed to flirt with boys! Okay?”

I giggle and play along. I sarcastically say, “Okay, dad!”

He takes another sip of coffee and then he says, “That’s my girl!”

My mom finishes cooking breakfast and makes a plate for me. She places it on the table. The eggs are sunny side up, not scrambled. I cry, “Mom! I like scrambled.”

She sighs and says, “Sorry honey! I totally pulled a blank. You will get scrambled eggs tomorrow. Promise. Cross my heart, hope to die.”

I laugh and stand up. She frowns and says, “Hon’ you didn’t even touch your breakfast!”

I sigh and say, “I’m just going to skip breakfast today. I’m feeling bloated right now, anyway.”

I run out of the door and blow them a kiss. I yell, “Bye mom! Bye dad!”

They say it back and I drive off. My school is a mile away from my house. The drive between the two is kind of soothing, in a way. I get to think of positive thoughts on the way to school, and reflect on my day on the way home.

I hop out of my car and I see my friend, Lorraine, sitting by herself. I say to myself, “That’s a little weird. She’s so popular. She usually has a flock of people surrounding her.”

I decide to walk over to her. Halfway between Lorraine and my car, I yell, “Hey, Lorraine!”

She lifts her head and fakes a smile. Joking around, I say, “Where is everybody, miss social butterfly?”

She sheds a tear and tries to hide it from me. She awkwardly says, “With Troy.”

Ugh Troy. My ex-boyfriend. The only boyfriend I’ve had, who has the had the nerve to cheat on me. I fucking hate that bastard. I am surprised that hasn’t gotten an STD with all of the tail he has been getting. I know that he cheated on me with at least three other girls. May Donahue, who supposedly has Chlamydia. Jenny Carter, who definitely has Crabs. Lastly, Tessie Porter who says she has Gonorrhea. Troy is a real, dirty, nasty whore. He probably gave all of those girls their STD’s. It wouldn’t come as a shock to me.

I push through my hateful thoughts and ask, “Okay? Why is everybody hanging out with Troy? He’s a douche bag!”

She forces out a laugh and then she thoughtfully looks into my eyes. She says, “He has naked pictures and videos of a girl on his phone.”

I scoff and say, “I feel bad for whoever that is. She probably deserves it, but I still feel for her.”

She stares at me once more and then says, “They’re of you, Onyx.”

I drop my bag in her lap and dash inside the school. The first place I check is the commons. Of course, there is a big group of people. I rush in and push my way through the crowd. It is very difficult, but I find my way to the source. No surprise, it’s Troy. He looks at me and merrily says, “Hey Onyx! How was your weekend?”

He turns his phone around and shows me a picture of myself, fully naked. No clothes are on me whatsoever. I say through my clenched teeth, “Where the hell did you get those?”

He laughs and says, “I have people, Onyx. I have people.”

I react in a way so primitive and harsh, that it even comes as a surprise to me. Before he can peel his phone from my face I take it and throw it to the ground. It cracks into seven, scattered pieces. The whole crowd silences. He gets up and yells, “What the hell? You are such a bitch.”

I take off my jacket and yell, “Oh I’m a bitch! I’m a bitch? I haven’t slept with half of the school! I haven’t sent naked photos of another person around! I am not the one with a broken nose!”

His face scrunches and then a swiftly glide my fist across the left side of his nose. The whole crowd roars. The excitement and rage gets to my brain. I jump on him and start hitting him as many times as I can. He is screaming and I am yelling random things at him in my fit of rage.

Someone peels me from his back. I turn around, and see that it is the vice principal. He says angrily, “My office now! That goes for you as well, Mr. Baker.”

I hang my head and shame as we follow him to the office. I sit on the chair on the left and Troy sits on the chair on the left. He yells, “I don’t have much to say! You two are blithering idiots. For your shenanigans, I already have a punishment thought of for the both of you. I will write a report later, but you two are sentenced to one day of in-school suspension.”

I throw my hands in the air, but he yells, “Not one word Ms. Mason! Now, since school hasn’t begun, you will be serving your time today! Now I will have Ms. Torres escort you to the detention room. There is no leaving, no talking, and absolutely no cell phones! Do I make myself clear.

We simultaneously mumble, “Yes.”