Chapter 5

As i drive through the streets of this lonely town, I start to wonder where my assailant could be lurking. The sewer? The local grocery store? In a bush? I need to calm down, and get ready for a night at the club. I pull out a joint from my purse. I kiss it and say, "What would I do without you?"

I grab the lighter from the dashboard and light up the blunt. I take a hit. My stress feels the same as before. I don't want to smoke too much and be hazy on stage, but this man needs to be physically removed from my mind one way or another. I take a few more hits from the blunt and I still feel like this man is nearby. I pull over in a dead street, next to a payphone. I get out and pay the fee. I dial our area code and then 346-4367. The phone rings once and nobody answers. The phone rings twice and my leg starts to twitch. I get halfway through the third ring and then a gril answers the phone. It's my dealer, Victoria. She says, "Eh, who is this?"

I breathe heavily and then whisper, Vicki, it's me... Onyx."

"Eh, Onyx why ia you whispering?"

"Shh! Do you want me to get killed? Damn, Vicki! I swear sometimes you are the dumbest girl I have ever met."

"Are you high girl? Cuz' I know I am!"

I take a minute and then say, "Listen I need some coke."

Vicki takes a minute before saying, "You know you can get a six pack of those at the grocery store, right?"

There is a long pause and then she yells, "I'm just kidding! So where and when?"

I bite my lip. I don't have a lot of time, and I am low on gas. Wait Vicki's house is right around the corner. I whisper into the phone, "Your house... soon."

Vicki starts to say something and then a hooded man turns around the corner and I drop the phone. I run out of the booth and hop back in my car. I put my key in the ignition, and turn it, but nothing happens. The man is getting ccloser to me and I start jumping in my seat. I throw my hands o9n the horn and scream, Fuck!"

The man stops by my car and turns and opens his mouth. I pull out pepper spray, and spray a huge amount in his face. I turn my key once more and then accidentally push the gas, and my car goes speeding. I turn the corner and drive up to Vicki's elegant, uncharacteristic house. I get out and calmly stroll up to the door. I'm about to knock and then she opens the door. She is clearly high, and is currently holding a blunt. I push her out of the way and enter into her house. I sit down on her plastic covered sofa, and hold my knees. I whisper, "I was assaulted."

Vicki blows smoke and the confusedly asks, "What?"

"A man approached me at the telephone booth, and stopped at my car. He was about to speak and I panicked. I grabbed my pepper spray, and sprayed it until he fell on the ground, gasping for air."

"Dude!"

"I got such a huge adrenaline rush from it, and I felt so bad for feeling good, so instead of helping him out I sped off."

Vicki rummaged through her jacket pocket, only half-listening to what I am saying. she smiles and pulls out a little baggy filled with white powder. Cocaine. I have only tried it four time sand that whas when I was stupid, and in junior high. Now I need it for a serious reason. I need to escape my assailant, my mind, myself. Vicki throws the little baggy towards me. I open it and put a little on my tongue just to make sure it's the real deal. My tongue numbs. I pull out my wallet and her two tewnty dollar bills. I say," Thanks," as I pour the baggy on to the table.

I start to line up my rows and then fins something to make a straw out of. I'm looking around and then  look at Vicki and she is holding something very shiny. I give her a puzzled expression and she says, "It's a solid gold straw. I made it from melting down all my ex-husbands gold gifts. Isn't it beautiful?"

I am gawking. It is so elegantly crafted, and it looks like it was done by a professional. I grab for it and she thrusts it back. She giggles and says, "Ah ah ah! Fifty dollars!"

I fish through my purse and pull out two twenty dollar bills and a ten. She takes the money, and I snatch the gold straw from her hand. I sat back down on the couch, and stared at the rows of cocaine sitting in front me. I wasn't thinking of all the consequences that I could get from cocaine. I really don't care right now. I snoirt my first row, and nothing happens. Instead of pacing myself I snort row two. And row three. And even row four.

I go into a state of mind that I have never entered before. I feel so many different emotions at once. Anger, vengeance, sadness, depression, happiness. Right now I look like I am going through a ceisure, because of how much I took. My eyes start to roll around adn vicki notices even through her hazy state. She goes to the kitchen and fetches me a glass of water. She comes back and the water is splashing around. I drink every last drop and still feel airy and light-headed. She goes to get me another glass of water. I try to stand, but my legs fell like wet noodles. I can't move any part of my body without toppling over.

Vicki runs back with another glass of water, and I am panting now. I drink all the water she has given me and now I feel like moving again. I get up and a wave of energy rushes throughout my entire body. I don't know what to do. I want to jog the 7 miles to work. I want to run a triathalon. I want to do a lot of things. I look around and hear a kuckoo clock stroke. Two strokes. Three strokes. Four strokes. Five strokes. Six strokes. Seven strokes. Then it finally stops. I look at Vicki and yell, "Shit! Vicki I need to get to the club!"

"Why?"

I yell, "Shit!"

Vicki doesn't know that I am a stripper. I don't want to tell her either. The ony reason is because I was so prude growing up and told her I would never use sex for a monetary gain. I don't want to look like a hypocrit. I have to think on my toes. An idea comes to mind, it's a bad one, but it will work for now. Calmly I say, "Vicki I am a lesbian. I have to be at The Cherry Axe at 7:30 to meet my girlfriend for a night of half-naked women."

Vicki is absolutely stunned. This buys me a slight moment to sneak out the door, and avoid a bunch of awkward questions in which case I'll have to make up more lies. I run out of the door and jump into the car. I drive off in the direction of the club. If I am late, my boss will kill me. That is, if my assailant doesn't get to me first.