Chapter 37

As much as I personally adore small talk, let me assure you that silence can also be polite. As my mother says, it's not what you do, it's how you do it.
We are now on our way back to home and he's been driving from fifteen minutes without saying a word. I don't know what made him off about? Going out with me or the destinations?? If he doesn't want to go, he can easily say No. There's no one forcing him.

It is not rude; silence can be meaningful. However, small talk can help breaking the ice and help you getting to enlarge your social circle.

I profoundly disliked it for decades and realized when becoming self-employed I missed many opportunities by sticking to the sideline. Things don't happen on their own. You have to go after them - be it the man or woman of your dreams, the highlight of your day, a new business contract. Whatever it is, it can't happen if roadblocks-excuses you cling to for fear of stepping outside of your comfort zone-get in your way. It feels good to be in your comfort zone but the false sense of security will have you steadily going nowhere by sticking to it.

"Being non-responsive or ignoring someone you know is generally considered rude by many people. "Thanks, but I don't feel like talking right now. Have a nice day" is responsive and not rude." I said glancing at him.

"It's rude, if you think it's rude. What do you think?" He questioned back.

"I would say no it's not rude. If you prefer deeper conversation then that's fine. There's nothing wrong with your preference of choosing not to engage in small talk. That's you. Be yourself and Embrace who you are." I replied back.

"Making small talk with me is apparently like pulling teeth. It's not that I don't want to engage, but it's like trying to have a meaningful conversation with a cat. I have next to zero conversation skills. Generally you'll find small talk with me to be the equivalent of chatting to a wall. A wall with good intentions who tries hard and doesn't want to disappoint, but still. Wall." He said taking a right turn.

"Many people have similar problems with making small talk especially with strangers. You may be quiet, introvert or just uncomfortable talking small talk with people, or maybe you just don't think it's important to talk small talk at all. What ever the reason, if you are in company, just smiling or acknowledging others is all you need to do. It depends upon how you do so. If you superciliously stare at whomever is trying to talk to you like they're the biggest moron on the planet, like you're doing now!" I said looking at him and he quickly looked away, making my lips tiwtch.
"It's you! It's how you are, and people will understand that you prefer to be on the sidelines rather than the centre of attention. No one owes another person to keep them entertained." I said taking a deep breath.

"Why did you agree??" He suddenly asked making me blank for a second.

"Huh?? What??!!" I mumbled

"Why did you agree on going out with me?"

"Why shouldn't I agree on going out with you?" I questioned back.

"You know the reason"

"No, I don't!" I said.

"It is just not "going out" it is more than that" he said quoting with his hands as we waited for the signal to turn green.

"Why is it so wrong, to go on a honeymoon with you?" I simply said. He looked at me or moreover stared shocked at me.

"Hanii.."

"Yes?"

"How can you be so casual?"

"Why shouldn't I be? Look I know that our marriage is not like others but this is real, we both are couples, real couples...so why can't I go on a vacation with you? It's not that we'll develop feelings for each other?" The last part was a lie.