Chapter 10

Our car went through the narrow lane between several fleets of bungalows and chalets on either side cemented with an uneven stretch of glossy, varnished cobblestones. I was visiting this place after four years, and still the vicinity seemed untouched by the usual hustle and bustle of the huge, polluted, metropolitan cities.

The white bungalows on my sides were tinted with peeling lemon colored paint at the corners. Several blotches and stains of coffee and brown colored sludge were splattered over the walls. There were steep stone steps leading towards the bungalows obstructed by lofty gate made of flaking rusty iron.

There were a few aged residents strolling along the stoned street supported by wooden walking sticks, glasses slipping down the bridge of their noses due to the greasy and slippery wet they were drenched in. Behind them a crowd of teenagers chortled at some joke.

After driving a few more yards I saw a cluster of tall beech trees through which streams of golden light pierced through the space between the leaves,and behind them stood the great white mansion made of marble glistening in the sunlight making it impossible to look directly at.

I got out of the car, while the maids and guard hurried towards us to take the luggage. I starred walking towards the mansion without blinking. Everything was still the same as I left four years back. I opened the door of the mansion and her laugh rang through my ears.

"Hani, come in na. I wanna show you the whole house" she dragged me in.

As I took a step in, I was greeted by the hallway. The predominant colors are dark with tan and gold highlights, creating a good contrast. This combination of colors is repeated throughout both floors of the house. The tall, heavy, varnished wood doors are of a geometric design. On either side of the main doors are smaller, longer versions of the colored glass windows.

To the right of the hallway, is a small sitting room. The fireplace, situated on the interior wall facing east. The hearth is set with dark patterned tiles with light blue and white floral tiles surrounding the firebox. The ceiling is painted pressed metal with a curved crown molding. The tall windows banded at the top by a panel of colored lights. I looked around and found their pictures hanging on the wall.

"Hanya..." he called and I turned. "Come, I'll show your room" he said and I followed him. Upon reaching the second floor, the balustrade forms a balcony overlooking the staircase. I turned on my west, and yes that window was still there. When the sun sets, rich colored light is produced filling both the main and second floor hallways with shades of amber, purple and blue.

I remember we both use to always stand here and laugh. Gosh!! I missed this window alot. This floor had four master bedroom. And mine was on the right side and his on the left side!! I thanked him and went inside my room. It was the same room where I had stayed before.

The room incorporates a full-size sitting area, a large king size bed in the middled of the room, with an in-wall speaker system, and a view of the beach behind the house.  The room has two complete full-size upgraded walk-in closets, one of which has a laundry chute to the laundry room below.

I went to check the washroom and yes it was also the same just like four years back. The washroom has a large shower enclosure with seating area, a Jacuzzi tub, twin sinks, closet, and a separate toilet. This bath is outfitted in a elegant tile/stone combination and features a television niche in the chandelier-lighted tub alcove.

I quickly freshened up and when I came out I saw two maids setting up my clothes in the closet. "Don't do that...I'll do" I said rubbing my hair.

"Mam, it's our work."

"Hanya and no, it's not your work. It's my work"

"But mam-"

"No but..." I said and they all went out. I picked up my bag and opened my second closet when my jaws dropped. All her clothes were neatly hanging, I quickly opened the adjoining closet and yes, all her accessories and shoes were there. I closed the closet and went towards the dresser and opened one of the drawers, I lost my balance. All her makeup was there.

I can't live in this room, I just can't!! I got up and went to the washroom quickly changed into jeans and top. Pinned up my hijab, don't care that if my hair was wet or not, all I know is I can't stay in this room. I picked up my bag and went to other room, and again all her things were present. I kept on going to every room but there was not a single room also in this mansion where she was not present!!

"Hanya...where are you going?" He asked coming down.

"I'll be staying with Aunty" I said.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because there's no place for me to stay here" I said looking straight into his eyes.

"Why? Didn't you like your room? You can take any other room if you want?" He said and I raised my eyebrows.

"How can I stay in any other room when all the rooms in this mansion are already of someone?" I said and he furrowed.

"What do you mean?" He asked innocently.

"She's there in every room" I said breathing hard. His eyes grew wide. As I continued staring at him.

"Sir, he's crying continuously" one of the maids came and said. We both stared at each other as I started walking.

"Only for him...." I said and went with the maid.

After sometime when he calmed down, I put him to sleep and just then he knocked.

"You don't have to go anywhere. He needs you. Your room will be ready in three hours, till then if you want you can stay here" he said.

"No, I can't stay here...I can't. Why don't you understand this is your bedroom. You both.....I can't!! It's not right...this is not right." I said.

"Hanya, things changed. We changed. Our relation changed...though we'll never accept each other or you can say that I won't be able to accept you. But still....."

"No one told you to do this favor"

"Listen, I didn't do this for you. I also did for him" he said pointing to him.

"I've never expected anything from you. Not before, not now and never in future." I said and stormed out of the bedroom.