Family

"Winnie?" Mae asked me, looking hopefully as ever as I looked down...I didn't want to disappoint her or anyone. I felt like it was failure if I did disappoint, I was raised that way by my father. I had to be 100% or else I would be a disappointment and a failure. My childhood. 

"I'm sorry, Mae." I whispered, "I'm Cecilia Foster, great granddaughter of Winnie." Miles, Angus, and Mae looked at me so confused. I think Jesse could sense I needed support so he let me lean into the side of his body, wrapping an arm around me as if I would collapse without the extra help. 

"I'm sorry for coming in uninvited, but I need your help." I said as I explained the story and me and Jesse's plan to stop my father.

    Watching their faces made my heart break, they seemed so upset that they might have to pick up and move again. I could easily see they've been on the run for far too long. 

"I thought Winnie closed up the spring." Miles argued as I looked at him and shook my head, I didn't want to disappoint anyone. It wasn't fun for me...

"Her son wanted to reopen it, so he did. It was hard work for him but he wanted it to 'greet the sun' as he would say. He always told our family never to drink from it, just admire it from afar. He didn't know what its powers were, but he knew it wasn't meant to be touched." I explained in one breath, feeling a bit light headed after speaking so much. Angus took a step closer to me as I didn't flinch at all, he seemed quite impressed of that. 

"Why would this benefit you, Cecilia?" Angus asked me as I looked directly to my right to see Jesse's beautiful face. Something I had to protect with all my life, no matter how short or long my life may be. I have to protect him. 

"I think you know already, Angus Tuck." I smiled, looking back at the father as a small smile appeared on his face. I haven't seen the man smile since I got here. It was nice for a change.

    Mae got me settled into a bed that didn't smell anything like a cabin...it smelt like pure freedom. I could go anywhere and everywhere I wanted when I was with the Tucks. I was at home. The cabin was deep into the woods, it was a mahogany color and it was quite large. It was away from all water and ways away from the spring. I liked it, it was away from everything but so close to everything that is missing from the minority of the everything. 

"Mae?" I asked, "Thank you, I really mean it. Thank you." I smiled as she looked at me and returned the smile.

                                                                            And I couldn't sleep. 

"Jesse? Jesse are you awake?" I whispered into the vent that lead to his bedroom, I heard him breathe so I knew it was him. The sun was awake, well...my sun. People say you can't live without the sun, they're right. I just think me and the people are talking about different suns. 

"Can't sleep?" He whispered back, so low that only I could hear. I could hear someone move from the vent, was Miles in his room?

"Is Miles there?" I asked as Miles spoke and said yes, insuring us that he would not listen in on the conversation of the night. I didn't hear from Jesse...I figured he just fell asleep. 

                                                                                        Nope. 

"Jesse!" I whispered with the sweet sound of overjoy! I was truly happy. I lifted up my blankets so he could come into the warmth.  I rested my head on his shoulder as we just sat there, happily content. "Are you warm enough? I can get you more blankets if you need them." I said, suddenly worried about his well being...I was always worried. I just wanted him to be safe and happy. 

"Why do you do that?" Jesse asked curiously, looking into my eyes now, I wondered what he meant. "You always make sure everyone else is okay before you treat yourself, why is that?" I was confused now, I wasn't like that at all. I was selfish and greedy, like I have always been. I get that quality from my father. 

"I'm selfish and greedy," I answered quickly, "I just wanted to make sure that you were alright."

"Is that how you see yourself? Selfish and greedy?" Jesse asked as I blinked away the tears from my past...memories that burned in my mind like a everlasting wildfire.