14. First Task

It was quiet inside the unknown chilly room as Scorpius looked around to see nothing but darkness. The only thing he could hear was the sound of his heavy-breathing and the beat of his heart echoing inside his head.

"Lumos." Scorpius whispered as light illuminated from the tip of his wand. He quickly glanced at the corner of the room, swearing that he had seen someone staring right at him. A cold rush travelled down his spine as he slowly walked to the other side of the room, his footsteps ever so careful.

Scorpius felt something move behind him, something unpleasant. He quickly pointed his wand to the other side of the room, shaking. He gasped as he saw a giant hairy beast growl at him.
"Bloody hell." He stepped backward, unable to think of his next move. It was the end. He was going to surrender and quit the games, but he jumped in shock when he saw Lily tied around the beast's back.

"Scorpius!" Lily screamed as she tried to untangle herself from the monster, crying hysterically.

"No!" He shouted at the top of his lungs as he darted towards the monster.

"Not Lily, please. N-no!" He started shooting jinxes and hexes, careful not to hit Lily, but it didn't work. Panic started to build inside him as he didn't want Lily getting hurt. He tried to punch and kick the horrifying creature though he only made everything worse. The beast snarled as it grabbed him by his side and threw him swiftly out of the room.

'Not Lily.' He begged before he flew out of the room and into the Black Lake, water splashing into his face...

He started to feel water slowly drowning him -- drowning him back to his consciousness.

"Wake the fuck up!" Gabriel Nolan was holding a half-empty glass of water as he stared at Scorpius with a puzzled expression. "It's today, mate. Domus Competere starts today."

Scorpius' heart was still beating rapidly as he slowly sat up and ran his hands through his hair. He shut his eyes, looking like he was in pain.

"You okay? Are you sick?" Gabriel studied his dorm mate's face.

Scorpius shook his head and sighed. "Bad dream, it's probably nothing." He went out of bed and shrugged the thought off as he wiped his soaking wet face with his towel.

"Sorry 'bout that. You wouldn't wake up." Gabriel frowned as he walked into a mirror and fixed his hair.

Scorpius stood up and went to the loo to take a quick shower and to groom himself before he goes to breakfast.

He turned the knob counter-clockwise as warm water slowly ran down his body.

It was just a dream. He told himself. It's not really going to happen. He convinced himself more, trying his best to ignore the bad feeling inside his chest.

--

As Scorpius was walking to the Great Hall for breakfast, he dropped by the Gryffindor table to kiss Lily's cheek, thankful that she was safe and alive before he went back to the Slytherin table to eat.

Roxanne Weasley sat beside Scorpius as she took a plateful of toast, ham, and eggs.

"McGonagall's expecting us after breakfast. There's going to be a short meeting with the other champions before the game starts." Roxanne looked at Scorpius before she started eating.

"Right, okay. Thanks." Scorpius nodded as he stuffed his plate with sausages and french toast.

"Good luck out there. If you need help, ask for mine. We're going to be a team here." Roxanne said seriously as she took a bite of her food.

"Thank you. Good luck to you, too. I doubt that you would need any help, but if you do, then I am here." Scorpius said formally.

Roxanne smiled as she took her plate and went back to her usual place at the Slytherin table. Scorpius looked back to his plate and noticed his friend who was swooning over Roxanne. Scorpius furrowed his eyebrows in amusement.

"That girl is hot." Gabriel said with a lick of lips.

Scorpius chuckled as he glanced at Lily who seemed to be perfectly okay with her friends.

"Hey, mate?" Scorpius asked as he stabbed his sausage with his fork. "You don't think they're gonna put people in danger, will they?"

"You're already in danger, Scorp. You're a goner." Gabriel scoffed.

"No, I mean... Friends or family members." Scorpius said.

"Dunno, man. It could be anything."

"Huh." Scorpius finished his meal and quickly went to the headmistress' office.

Albus was already there with Isabelle and Lysander. He quickly joined them, oblivious of what's about to happen.

"Hey, mate." Scorpius greeted Albus with a nod.

"Hey. They're about to tell us our first task." Albus explained as he gave way for Scorpius to sit beside him in the long wooden-carved chair, shaped like a Tiger.

The room was bright with the curtains up and the sun shining inside the headmistress' office. There were statues, relics, and portraits of former headmasters and there were also potions and empty bottles stacked in a cabinet next to the desk of the headmistress. When everyone arrived, McGonagall studied each of their faces before she spoke up.

"Today is the day of your first task. After this short meeting, you will immediately go to your house's dug out in the Quidditch Pitch, and you shall be escorted by the head boys and girls." McGonagall nodded in cue for the head boys and girls to arrive.

"Now, the first task will compose of three rounds. The first round, testing your skill of flying. I trust that you all have brooms?" McGonagall asked as everyone nodded. "Good, good. Now, what is the challenge there? You will be encountering two types of creatures in the first round. One is the Glumbumble and the second is a fish called Dugbog. You will soon know what they are and how it works." McGonagall gave them a smug as she continued on.

"The next round is simple. You will be facing another beast using only your wand. You cannot use a broom anymore, and your goal there is to take the locket for you to continue to the last round. Is that clear?" McGonagall looked at them sternly as she waited for them to nod.

Scorpius exhaled, remembering his dream. He tried to convince himself that it wouldn't be the same beast as his dream. They wouldn't put Lily in grave danger. Not like that.

He looked away, trying to shrug the unsettling feeling away.

"The last round depends on how you answer. Are you all familiar with a Sphinx? Well, if you're not, they tend to be a little violent, so make sure that you are certain before you answer. If the Sphinx likes it, then it shall let you pass unharmed. Good luck, everyone." McGonagall gave them a small smile before nodding to the head boys and girls to take them to the dug out.

"Will it be an individual thing or do we go together?" Lyra, the Ravenclaw Champion, asked.

"Ah, yes, yes. The first task will be an individual thing. The fastest six to finish this task will continue on to the next task in January."

"Two will be eliminated today?" Roxanne asked.

"Yes, Miss Weasley. Two people will be eliminated for the first and second task." McGonagall nodded. "Now, off you go to the Quidditch Pitch. The Ministry has put some technological device for the whole school to watch the games."

Everyone stood up from their seats as the head boys and girls handed out a bag. "Take one number." Rose said to Albus as he obeyed. "I got three." Albus said with his eyebrows raised.

"You will be the third person to enter the room." Rose said firmly.

Albus exhaled, nervously. Scorpius tapped his back before he took a number. He unfolded the paper to see a small number '2' written on it.

"Two?! Well, fuck." Scorpius said as he threw the paper on the floor while the others laughed.

"One." Roxanne said monotonously as she crumpled the paper and put it inside her pocket.

"Okay, you all know your numbers. We'll call you when it's your turn." James dismissed them.

Roxanne tapped Scorpius' back. "Dug out. Now." She walked quickly out of the headmistress' office as Scorpius followed her.

When they reached the dug out, Alix Zabini and another head boy from the Slytherin house were guarding the door.

Roxanne threw her sling bag on the bench as she sat down. "Right. Since I'm going to be first, I'm going to tell you how hard it is and how you're supposed to beat the bloody creatures."

"Thanks, Roxy. How do I return the favour?"

"Beat the others if I don't."

"Right. Teamwork. Okay." Scorpius nodded as he tried to comprehend how they were going to do it.

Alix shouted. "Weasley. You're up."

"Okay, see you in a few minutes." Roxanne stood up immediately as she put her combat boots on and took her broomstick.

"Good luck." Scorpius' hands were sweating as his heart raced ridiculously fast. When their door opened, he heard the deafening screams of the audience as Roxanne went out and waved, confidently. Scorpius breathed heavily as he thought of ways to defeat the beasts.

Reducto? Stupefy? Confundus? Fuck.

He walked around the room, trying to calm himself down. The crowd wasn't helping at all as he heard them cheer and gasp every time something happened. Scorpius hoped Roxanne was still alive so he could at least know how dangerous the rounds were.

He looked at the clock that hung against the wall. 10:03 AM. It's been 43 minutes since Roxanne left the dug out.

"Chill out, Malfoy. Your partner's doing great." Alix smirked.

"Yeah, of course she is, but I am going to die out there, I tell you." Scorpius scoffed as he rubbed his hands together.

"McGonagall won't let that happen. Besides, that doesn't sound like the confident, big-headed Scorpius I know." Alix said, comfortingly.

"You're right. I'm being a pussy."

"You got it, don't worry." Alix gave him a thumbs up just as Roxanne barged in the door, her robes all dirty and ripped apart, but thankfully, there wasn't a hint of blood anywhere.

"Listen. The Glumbumble's treacle will make you feel melancholy, but it's all in your head. It took some time before I figured that one out. Don't fall for it!" Roxanne looked at Scorpius, narrow-eyed.

"There's a mutated beast on the second round. The locket's tied around its body. Somehow, it could spit fire and become invisible. And the third round--"

"You're up, Malfoy." The head boy said sternly as he grabbed his arm.

"RIDDLES. ANSWER CORRECTLY AND IT WILL LET YOU THROUGH!" Roxanne shouted as Scorpius was dragged out of the room. He shoved his hand away from the head boy and glared at him. "I know how to walk." He continued glaring at him as he took his broom and went out of the dug out.

--

The blinding light of the sun burnt his eyes as the crowd started roaring at the sight of him. He looked at the Quidditch Pitch that had a very large cube, assuming that it will be held inside. There was a large telly floating the two goal posts instead of the hoops. The telly showed Scorpius' face. He stiffened as he slowly entered the cube, instantly making the sound outside disappear. He opened the door slowly and saw water rush through his feet. He quickly rode his broom, not wanting the funny-looking fishes go near his feet.

Just then, a flock of birds entered the room, pricking his neck before he could move away.

A strong sad sensation started filling inside of him. He quickly flew to the next door, but when he opened it, a few more birds went inside the room. He shut it quickly before more could enter.

A few more birds nibbled on his flesh as he shooed them away. He felt like giving up, already. He felt like a failure. Helplessness and depression got the best of him.

Snap out of it and get to the other door! He told himself as he flew to the next door, but when he opened it, the water started rising and more of the fish went inside the room.

He flew his broom to the next door and opened it as quick as possible. "Alohamora!" The door unlocked itself and Scorpius went inside it.

The room resembled a broom closet but it was thrice as big as a normal broom closet. He took a small step as something growled.

"Confundus!" He pointed his wand at the now befuddled beast as he slowly took the locket away from its neck.

The beast snarled when he saw him approaching, burning the tip of his fingers.

He shouted in pain as he gripped the locket, the beast in returned hid himself with his hair that made him vanish.

Scorpius looked around the room to see a small bucket. "Accio bucket!" The bucket swiftly flew in front of him.

"Aguamenti." He muttered as water filled the bucket. "Colovaria." The water turned to dark blue as he smiled delightly. He pointed his wand at the bucket and made the blue water splash all around the room, hitting himself and the beast.

When the beast growled, Scorpius saw its wet fur with blue water.

"Caught you." He smirked before petrifying the beast.

Scorpius knew it was a Demiguise. He also knew that a Demiguise could not spit fire. So he came to the conclusion that it was mutated with a dragon.

When it could no longer move, Scorpius ran to the other side of the room and opened the door to the next round.

The room was all white and clean. At the centre of the room, Scorpius saw a Sphinx. It had a body of an over-large lion: great clawed paws and a long yellowish tail ending in a brown tuft. Its head, however, was that of a woman. She turned her long, almond-shaped eyes upon Scorpius as he slowly approached.

"You're almost done. All you have to do is answer at least two out of three of my riddles. Answer on your first guess and I shall let you pass. Answer wrongly - I attack."

"What if I don't answer at all?" Scorpius crossed his arms.

"There's no other way to get to the other side."

"Alright, then. Give me a riddle."

"I am gentle enough to soothe your skin,

Light enough to fly in the sky,

And strong enough to crack rocks."

Scorpius blinked, trying to think.

"Er, what is this... I know this!" He clutched his head as he shut his eyes, mumbling the riddle over and over again. "W-wait."

The Sphinx glared scathingly as she waited.

"Water. It could crack rocks, evaporate, and soothe my skin."

"Good. One more and I'll let you pass. If you get this wrong, you'll get one more riddle."

"Okay, get on with it. Please."

"Although glory but not at my best.

Power will fall to me when the man who made me dies.

First think of a sound a feline often utters.

Then the reaction most people do

when they are faced with something unpleasant.

Next, take away the first letter of the second.

Patch it all together.

Answer."

"Feline... A cat."

"Meow... Wait no, that's not my answer!" Scorpius winced when the Sphinx was about to hit, but instead the Sphinx smiled.

"What? You like it when I wince?" Scorpius sounded annoyed.

"Oh wait! I get it! Wince! Reaction to something unpleasant - wince, take away the first of the second answer... Ince!"

"Meowince... No. Er-- wait. Purr?

Yeah?

AH!

Purr-ince,

PRINCE! Power will fall to a prince when his father dies!"

The Sphinx moved to the left with a smile as she gave way for Scorpius to move to the last door.

Scorpius quickly moved towards the door as he turned the knob. Deafening roars started to echo in his ears as the staff pulled him towards his dug out.

Relief started washing over him before he realized that his best friend was next.

"Wait, I need to talk to Albus, please."

"You can't go to the Gryffindor dug out, Malfoy." The professor stated as he brought him to his dug out.

"No! I'll wait outside. I'll wait for Albus. He's next, I need to warn him." He drifted his way through the crowd that congratulated him as he ran towards the Gryffindor dug out.

"Whoa, there, Malfoy. Where do you think you're going?" James halted.

"I need to warn Albus about the beasts."

"Don't worry, mate. I told him already, yeah? Now keep quiet." James whispered in Scorpius' ear as he tapped his shoulder, reassuringly.

"Thanks." He nodded with a sigh as he turned around.

"Scorp!" He saw Lily running towards him, little balls of sweat building up in her temples.

"Lily." He grinned as he hugged her tight and kissed her forehead.

"I'm so glad you're okay. You did amazing!" Lily clasped both of the sides of his face as she beamed.

"How long was I in there?" He asked as he breathed heavily.

"45 minutes. You were 7 minutes faster than Roxanne." She smiled and kissed his cheek, proudly. "That was pretty clever, the bucket."

"Thanks, it was the best I could think of." He shrugged.

"C'mon, let's go up and watch how Albus goes." Lily took his hand and lead him up the stairs to watch Albus inside the cube.

"The telly's a great touch." He commented as he watched Albus go through the first round.

When all the champions had finished the first task, everyone started murmuring about who was the fastest person through.

Within a few minutes, McGonagall announced the winners as the screen of the telly flashed their faces with their rankings:

1. Lysander Scamander

- 32 minutes and 57 seconds.

"It was the simplest way out, just conjuring the locket." Hugo chuckled.

"You guys like a lot of action." Alice said. "Zander just walked his way out of everything." They laughed.

"Pretty sure he eats riddles for breakfast." Lily joked along.

2. Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy
- 44 minutes and 53 seconds.

Lily smiled widely as she hugged him tightly. "Blimey, Scorp! Second place!"

3. Roxanne Avery Weasley
- 51 minutes and 12 seconds.

4. Albus Severus Potter
-52 minutes and 29 seconds.

5. Isabelle Thomas
-56 minutes and 6 seconds.

6. Kyle Fenemore
- 59 minutes and 38 seconds.

7. Lyra Creevey
- 59 minutes and 43 seconds.

8. Elizabeth Megan Pluns
- 59 minutes 54 seconds.

"You all have done a fantastic job, champions, but only the top six will continue on the next task in January." McGonagall said. "The locket you have in your hand will be the clue to the next task. It is up to you to figure it out. Have a great day, everyone." McGonagall stated with a nod.

"HOUSE PARTY!" A group of seventh year boys shouted in chorus as everyone joined in the cheering.

"I'm so proud of you." Lily said as she squeezed Scorpius' hand.

"I'm just glad it's over. Now, how about a party with only the two of us?" He said suggestively.

Lily glared at him as she poked his side, knowing what he meant by it. "Maybe next time. Go have fun with your Slytherin friends first. I'm sure they're all thrilled." She said as she sealed him with a kiss.